Win2000 Graphics Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatman05

Hello again, guys. Does Windows 200 have better graphics performance? I noticed this when I observed a particular OpenGL screensaver zip across the screen on an Intel845G/GL agp graphics processor. A few weeks later, I observed under WinXP (The os had to be reinstalled) the graphics went by less zippier.

Until I upgraded to SLI, I always used 2000 for gaming. It gave higher frame rates and I had almost no crashes. But nVidia isnt going to provide SLI support for 2000 so I have to use XP.

No, with Win2k SP2->SP4, there is no real improved performance nor major differences between Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

The only perceivable performance improvement would be under conditions where Windows XP enhancements have insufficient resources whereby Win 2000 uses less resources. For example, if you have only 128mb, XP will use the pagefile more than Windows 2000 IF you have all the Windows XP enhancements enabled (XP desktop theme, clear-text font smoothing, visual novelties, etc.etc.).

As far as some "OpenGL screensaver"- this would simply be comparing a properly configured system with an improperly configured system. XP ships with a reference OpenGL (software) and requires 3rd party OpenGL drivers. Win 2000 does not, so it enforces proper OpenGL ICD configuration.

When all things are equal, Windows XP performs about the same as Windows 2000. You just have to turn off all the improvements and bells & whistles if you have insufficient memory... as well as have XP installed and configured properly.

Sharkfood said:
XP ships with a reference OpenGL (software) and requires 3rd party OpenGL drivers. Win 2000 does not, so it enforces proper OpenGL ICD configuration.

What do you mean by that?

It means exactly what it says.

You can get OpenGL screensavers to *work* on a botched/messed-up and incorrectly configured XP installation as the bundled software ICD works with just about anything.. but totally using the CPU.

You can only get OpenGL screensavers to *work* on Windows 2000 if you've actually got a fairly well, configured OpenGL ICD. In Software mode, it wont spin the little logos or whatnot as the software version bundled is featureless.

In general, if you compare a botched/incorrect installed version OS with a non-botched/correctly installed version OS, you'll see such differences. You'll also obviously see differences if you have a ton of visual effects enabled on one, but not on the other.

Ok....that is a little confusing....Two questions:

1.) What is an OpenGL ICD?

2.) What are some ways to improve Direct3D performance (I know, a really stupid question to ask, just had to ask it).

And another question... Which do you think is faster, the NVidia Riva TNT2 Pro AGP4X, or the Intel 845G/GL Intergrated Graphics PCI, and why do you think so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back