Win2k -> Everything installs very very slowly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had any problems up untill a few days ago and can't remember making any changes to my system that might have caused this, but whenever I try and install new software now it's goes incredibly slowly... it takes 5-10 mins before the first setup screen pops up and then another 5-10 mins before the language selector pops up etc etc... I haven't been able to get it to actually install anything yet and I have tried installing Partition Magic, Agfa Snapscan and Agfa Fotosnap.

Win2k
Athlon 600 Mhz
384ram

Anyone have a clue what the cause might be?

The HD is 120 GB and only 2 months old, I only have 1 partition atm (that's why I wanted to install partition magic) and I have 47 gigs free.

When is the last time you ran scandisk or a disk-defragmenter?

Invoke ScanDisk and/or Disk Defragmenter by right-clicking on the drive you want to check or defragment and click Properties from the pop-up menu. On the Tools tab, select Check Now or Defragment Now.
To get a better and faster version, download the Diskeeper free version from www.executive.com/downloads/menu.asp

What are you collecting, MP3s?

Also while you're at it you might want to empty all temp folder (inc. temp internet file) and your Windows\Prefetch folder, in order to let windows rebuild it (because it is probably full of programs you never use).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back