win2k Repair Installation Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

astrolabe

Problem - loaded software Folder Password Expert USB 2.1.0.6 from here actually, as I've been looking for something like this for a while. Ran it and tried to create and protect a new folder in My Documents. The software crashed reporting an error and asking me to report the crash. Ominous. Stopped and went back to desktop to find half my icons had been corrupted and my user directory (one below My Documents) spattered all over the screen.

Tried various ways to restore order and failed. So resorted finally to re- installing win2k - drastic but not known to fail previously. I keep a copy on the hard drive so I used that. Failure. Went for the original CD. That failed.

The error occures right at the end - Performing Final Tasks. It gets about a third of the way into Registers Components and freezes !!

Short of installing a second OS I'm stumped. Ideas please!! I don't fancy reinstalling all the software, well restoring from a backup actually but it still will create a monumental amount of work...

Tom

Most probably the program has messed with your harddrives metadata files (hidden files that begins with a $ sign in your systemroot drive...)

I think you will need to do a reformat to fix this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Limitations

You can try running chkdsk in the recovery console but I think it will just tell you that there is an unrecoverable problem on the disk...

Run CHKDSK /p - showed a problem (initially no problem when no /p) Rerun with /p/r and CHLDSK reported everything OK ???

So anyone any other thoughts

Regards

Tom

astrolabe said:
Run CHKDSK /p - showed a problem (initially no problem when no /p) Rerun with /p/r and CHLDSK reported everything OK ???

So anyone any other thoughts

Regards

Tom
It seems our chkdsk versions differs a little, is /P the small test and /R the full test that restores data? If so you should only type chkdsk /R because that will include /P, typing both parameters could make it choose only one of them or something odd like that...

Did chkdsk fix the errors it reported, or did it say it could not fix them because they where too servere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back