Win98 bad starting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

thadanman2k1

bad starting up

Hi, My comp started to do this thing when it boots up where during the Windows 98 screen shows that it shows a black screen that says a device file that the registry uses couldn't be found or something like that. and it also says
C://WINDOWS/SYSTEM/VSH......<--- something goes there I forgot what it was. My comp literate uncle says that I might have deleted something that registry needed so I have to find out what it was and reinstall it. But I dont know what it is. Can't I just look up in the registry. But I dont know how to access the reg..
Thank you in advance for any help. :grinthumb

start/run/regedit will give you the registry editor.
Not sure how to trace what is missing...

Next time you boot it up, write the message down and look for that file, it will tell you exactly where it should be. Go to Start>Find>Files or Folders, then type the filename and search "My Computer" so it covers everything, if it finds the file somewhere, you can copy it to the place the registry wants it to be and see if it satisfies it.

You might also use the System file Checker but if you have never run it then it won't have anything to compare the files it finds against to see if anything is missing or corrupt.

I would say to look for the file, either on your Win 98 CD or look it up at google or somewhere. If it is a Win98 system file it will probably be on the CD. In either case, looking it up with a search engine, you should be able to locate it easily.

What is the file by the way? I might be able to help you in locating it or at least tell you what it is for.

this can happen when one uses add/remove programs to remove an installed application, and the uninstaller does not remove all proper traces of itself from the registry.

There's shortcuts in your Startup folder and Registry entries to run programs at startup that has been removed. Sounds like an old version of Virusscan to me. In the registry it's easiest to search for "run once" and right above it is "run". under run youll find programs that run on startup. That's where I suspect you will find it. Delete the "Key(s)" you don't want to run on startup .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back