Win98 Install Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

killer_squirrel

I have an older PC that I got to tinker with and learn on. The OS on it was beyond FUBAR. I read the guide about installing Win98 contained on this site. I did as it said, (Boot from boot disk, run fdisk, delete partition, format hdd, create partiton.) Now I put in the disk that came with the cd-rom containing the drivers and typed install. I followed the instructions and it said it successfully installed. But, now when I put in the Win98 cd and rebbot from the cd-rom it says:

Verfying DMI Pool Data........
Boot from ATAPI CD_ROM : Failure ...

Invalid system disk
Replace the disk, and press any key

What do I need to do from here? Like i said i got this PC to "learn" on and I am new to this kinda stuff. Any help and advice you guys can give would be greatly appreciated!

To Start Press Any Key. Where's The Any Key??????

You have to start the PC by booting from that floppy (assuming it is a W98-startup-floppy), and select "with CD-Rom support" when asked.
Then insert your CD, type in: D:\setup and hit enter. (assuming your CD is the D-drive, change to E/F etc. as required).

Any Key means litterally that, ANY key you like, a, v, r, z, Enter-key, whatever

This is probably dumb,but..... In the BIOS I selected to boot a first and it does. But all it shows is A:
Now i have been able to fdisk, delete the partition, and format the hdd. But, I saw nothing about CD support. Where is this and where do I go from here??
BTW.. That quote at the bottom, is supposed to be my signature. But I found out how to do it right. :blush:

Go to www.bootdisk.com and download the file to make a bootfloppy for Windows 98SE.
This will include the necessary driver for CDrom-support.

If your W98 CD is bootable, set the BIOS to boot from CD rom. After starting, you can then press your famous ANY key when asked.

Quick question. I have a bootdisk that a friend of mine made for me. I used it to "try" to boot this thing. All it says now is "Starting Windows 98," and goes to the A: prompt!I went www.bootdisk.com and downloaded a new one and it won't even boot from it. All it says is "Invalid System Disk Remove Disk And Press Any Key." I don't know what else to try. Any ideas???? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back