win98 locking up for certain things plz help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
heres how its goin down... my computer will freeze every time i start outlook express or a game, or even when i attempt to install things. it also freezes when i visit many webpages using IE. other than these problems, i dont know of anything else wrong with it. it worked fine just a short while ago. im running the most updated version of norton and do scans all the time. this is beginning to piss me off. also, when i start winamp, it never pops up, and sometimes will make the computer lock up. thanx in advance.

The most common cause of freezes and lockups in Win 98 is deleted or corrupted system files. run file checker in system tools. have you installed or deleted any programs lately? Win 98 is bad about allowing newer files to be overwritten by older ones during installs. and of course it always offers to delte "uneeded" .dll files during uninstalls which should NEVER be done.

Another possible problem might be not enough memory to run these apps/games at the same time. Just for clarification how much do you have?

BTW, :wave: :wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave: :wave:

Nice nick, heh :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back