Win98 Start Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Optoplex on my home network I am using for file backup and storage.

Problem: I removed an older version of McAfee (Ver 7) to free up disk space. Now on Windows boot, I get a dos screen looking for a McAfee file. I can continue the boot but it often results in a Desk top frozen screen. I have tried everything McAfee and others suggested to elimiate the requst for the file at boot ...to no avail. (reg cleaner, system.ini etc). It seems like it would be an easy thing to eliminate if I could find it! Safe mode works all the time.

Question: Any ideas where this boot request may be located and how do I eliminate it?

Thank You in advance. :grinthumb

I think you are on the right track looking in the system.ini, its one of those files I think, because I've had this problem before, unfortunately I think the last time I had it was around 2000 or 2001. Have you tried firing up msconfig and looking through the tabs there and seeing if there is anything you can find related to McAfee.

I think you'll probably find it in the autoexec.bat file, though it may be in config.sys. It wouldn't be in system.ini or win.ini as that is loaded with windows, not before windows (DOS). This is a common problem with AV programs like Norton or Mcafee.

I imagine it boots fine in Safe mode, have you tried?

Download the VSCleanUpTool.exe from this page.. Run it under Safe Mode and it should solve your problem. That is, if your problem is actually McAfee and not some other coincidental issue....

I ran through the matrix I found on one of the windows help sites. It suggests turning off Config.sys, Autoexec.bat, System.ini, Win.ini and Start up group in varoius combinations using msconfig. None of the combinations eliminated the boot "missing file' error message. So.....I have to assume the source is not in one of these.

The McAfee program was installed by Dell when I purcased the computer. I am now wondering if it isn't some hidden Dell startup folder!

Caravel & Sngx1275 thanks for your suggestions.

Where does the "missing file" error appear? Before windows starts at the DOS prompt? Can you post up the contents of your autoexec.bat and config.sys files for a start. Anything loaded from DOS before win9x starts is usually located in autoexec.bat particularly. If you see it after the "Starting Windows 98" appears (after, and interrupting, the spash screen) then it could be located anywhere, even the registry. Have you tried running msconfig and checking to see if the missing file is being loaded as part of the startup list?

Fixed One Problem!

Reference to the problem file was in the Reg. I did a "find" file in the reg area with key word McAfee. Even after running McAfee uninstall and and a program call Regclean, there were still references to McAfee. I deleted them and THIS problem was fixed (loads windows and desk top without stopping).

I still have the unpredictable lockup problem after boot. I get one of three outcomes 1. clean boot (everything appears to work), 2. Everything loads, but hangs (Hour glass). 3. Same as 2, but no hour glass (mouse arrow moves but can't select anything. 2&3 Ctrl-Alt-Delete usually results in a black screen. Hard reboot is the only thing that works.

Thanks for all your help so far...any additional ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Bencat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back