Win98 & system resources question

Status
Not open for further replies.
system resources question

Hello.

I just finished upgrading my new cpu. It's an AthlonXP1800, with a Giga-byte GA-&DX motherboard, 512MB pc2100 ddr, 90 GB of total hd space (1 10 and 1 80 GB, seperately), a g-force2mmx 32mb agp, soundlblaster live 5.1, and a linksys nic card (thanks for the advice on that one!).

The problem, or at least i think it may be one, is that whenever i check my system resources in win98(yeah, i know) it plummets when I have even the lightest progs running. Is there something that I may have missed? Or, is this a memory problem that i can fix with a prog like cacheman?

any and all help is appreciated
-jonathan

Systems Resources refers to the 128k area that \/\/indoze 9X uses for "housekeeping."
System Resources are consumed as applications are loaded and the number of windows objects are increased. Regardless of the amount of
memory available on the computer, when System Resources are exhausted Windows is out of memory. To avoid depletion:
* Close all unnecessary applications before starting 123.
* Reduce or eliminate decorating schemes such as wallpaper and bitmap images.
* Reduce the number of desktop groups.
* Close unnecessary group windows on the desktop.
* Restart the computer after several hours of opening and closing files and applications.

Win/98 uses a default setting to help Windows allocate hard drive space for virtual memory. The amount of hard drive space you allocate for virtual memory is important. If you allocate too little, you will get "out of memory" errors.

Control Panel> System> Performance tab> Virtual Memory. Click on the option, "Let me specify my own virtual memory settings." In the minimum box, enter the smallest amount of hard drive space you wish to use (2 megabytes). The maximum figure upper limit is twice physical RAM space.
(Windows default is normally 12mb above the amount of physical ram)

Turn off UNDO when running macros. This is done by using the {set} command.
Set CALC to manual while running macros.This is done by using the {set} command.

thanks...here is what happens after i rebooted...

put it this way, i have mirc, kazaa(lite), netcaptor, open on a adsl line and my system resources are 47%. i am also running cacheman and using the cd writer profile, plus i let win98 manage my virtual memory for me.

dtevol,

Win98 or Win98SE? You have all the updates from MS? That is where I would start. DL, install & re-boot 1 at a time. ;)

Have you run msconfig.exe? What does it show is loading at 'Start up'? More than you thought? Have you done a ctrl/alt/delete to bring up the 'Close Program' window to 'see' what is running? You don't mention a 'firewall' or 'anti-virus' program. Got something running you don't know about? Lotsa 'mass mailing' virus' out there. If you do have an AV: maybe it is constantly running or has a boot 'problem'. :rolleyes:

Use 'Cacheman' or Windows 'System Monitor' to graph the % & 1 by 1 shut things down. You'll find out what is hogging the system. You can boot into 'safe mode' & only 'Explorer' will boot & you can check the % then too. It *should* be real high in 'safe mode'.

HTH,

Do you feel that your system is sluggish ?

If it's just Win98 showing you some info saying that your system's ressources are low, it's probably a problem to take into account that much memory. Win98 isn't known for exceptionnal memory management, especially above 256mb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back