win98se icons not functioning and driver install problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My poor old computer is having a bit of trouble, you see. I was hoping I could find some help somewhere. I've posted on many forums today.

This morning I turned on my old computer but none of the desk top icons would work. At first one did, then none. Programs from the start menu do not work either, except I can find and open things in the 'Run' command from the start menu, and 'Find'. Drwatson has found this...

--------------------
Windows KB918547 EXE component has altered Windows system files.

Module Name: KB918547.EXE
Description: Windows KB918547 EXE component
Version: 4.10.2224
Product: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

With the suggestion from another forum I deleted the update, but apparently, it is still there :mad:

I would love to fix this somehow, because it is getting in the way of trying to fix my next little problem...

I bought a zMate 2gb memory stick. I bought a new computer and I need alot of files from this old machine, and it is impossible to burn them to a disk, too many errors to count and I have some LARGE files to keep. The drivers from dane-electric don't install properlly, and I am desperate to fix these problems. I've emailed them twice, one last week and once today, and their "Live Assistence" where they take over your computer and help, is 'unavailable', even in business hours. Their telephone contact for tech help is actually a instruction voice recording about how to return products and parts to them, not to fix things like installing drivers. I'm honestly really disapointed with them and their product, but thats besides the point.

I'm sorry I wrote so much, but could anyone help me fix even one of these problems? I'd really appreciate it!

You could just put the hard drive from the old computer into the new computer to get the files off it!!!!

I honestly have no want to do that, nor would I venture to even do it. I want to fix this computer, to have it in working order. This is my back up computer, just in case my new one breaks and I have an assignment to do.

Go to the start menu, run -> and enter "msconfig". Look in the startuplist for any KB918547.EXE entries. Uncheck them ok it and reboot. Also if you can provide a list or screenshot of the startup list that could be useful.

Well its the fastest way to get the files you want from 1 pc to the other!!!! Plus when you are done the hard drive can just go back in to the old pc again, and you could use the new pc to error check the drive and it would do it a lot quicker than the old pc!!!!

The problem with win98 is not many people use it these days and microsoft don't even support it anymore!!!!

rik said:
Well its the fastest way to get the files you want from 1 pc to the other!!!! Plus when you are done the hard drive can just go back in to the old pc again, and you could use the new pc to error check the drive and it would do it a lot quicker than the old pc!!!!

The problem with win98 is not many people use it these days and microsoft don't even support it anymore!!!!

You can still download the updates however and the latest spyware and worms aren't exactly designed to exploit it, so newer updates aren't much of an issue. It's also very lightweight and ideal for older systems, which bloated XP/2K slows down.

rik said:
Caravel, you need to read the first post more carefully!!!!

Maybe you do, no offence. I already said I DONT want to put the old hard drive in the new computer. 1. I don't know how, and I don't have time to learn. 2. if there is, say, a humungous evil virus on this one causing all the problems, I'm positive I don't want to infect my just purchased computer.

I'm talling up all the start up stuff as requested. The win updates are gone, and drwatson says that my system appears to be ok.

I did see what you said, but i was just saying that putting the old drive in the new pc would save you a lot of time, thats all!!!!

wing man profiler
clocksync
NJB (Nero stuff)
ScanRegistry
Taskmonitor
systemtray
LoadQM (I don't know what that is...)
PMXInit (says "Setup Run Once")
stillmagemonitor
Sharetoweb Namespace Daemon (hp scanner stuff)
IPINsightlan 01 (internet stuff)
IPinSightmonitor (internet stuff)
CPQEASYACC (keyboard easy buttons stuff)
EACLEAN (same as above..)
KDX (dunno...says KHOST.EXE)
Tweak UI (tweaky stuff, can't get into it through the "Run" though)
LoadPowerProfile (Power saving stuff I think)
Lexstart (I dunno)
Quick Time Task
Outlook
AVG7_CC (anitvirus)
AVG_EMC (same as above)
AVG7_AMSVR (same above)
Showicon_Samsung_USB Product driver
Machine Debug Manager
Tweak UI (Again?)
Load Power Profiler (Again?)
ScheduilingAgent
(The two unchecked win updates)
Adobe Gamma Loader

There's everything. I'm going to find a snap shot thing now too...oh and my icons still don;t work, even with the two win updates gone.

Sorry rik I think I was a bit hasty there. It's just that I've seen alot of those old "get that old crap uninstalled and buy XP" type of posts. I rather jumped the gun. Also I didn't quite understand the OP's first post now I do. Apologies again.

Aereis said:
wing man profiler - logitech joystick cp
clocksync - atomic clock thingy
NJB (Nero stuff) - leave for now
ScanRegistry - leave it alone
Taskmonitor - non essential get rid of for now
systemtray - leave it alone
LoadQM (I don't know what that is...) ms queue manager rubbish, get rid
PMXInit (says "Setup Run Once") for Kyro graphics card, leave it for now
stillmagemonitor - stimon.exe, possibly for your scanner, if you don't need this now so disable it
Sharetoweb Namespace Daemon (hp scanner stuff) - disable if you disabled stimon.exe
IPINsightlan 01 (internet stuff) - disable
IPinSightmonitor (internet stuff) - disable
CPQEASYACC (keyboard easy buttons stuff) - disable
EACLEAN (same as above..) - disable
KDX (dunno...says KHOST.EXE) - disable
Tweak UI (tweaky stuff, can't get into it through the "Run" though) - it's usually in the start mennu under 'ms powertoys' - leave it enabled for now
LoadPowerProfile (Power saving stuff I think) - leave alone
Lexstart (I dunno) - lexmark printer rubbish - disable
Quick Time Task - disable
Outlook - disable
AVG7_CC (anitvirus) - leave
AVG_EMC (same as above) - leave
AVG7_AMSVR (same above) - leave
Showicon_Samsung_USB Product driver - leave alone (probably for a USB flash drive)
Machine Debug Manager - leave it
Tweak UI (Again?) - it's been inserted twice, which sometimes happens with win9x os - disable it
Load Power Profiler (Again?) - yep leave it
ScheduilingAgent - disable or leave up to you
(The two unchecked win updates) - leave as they are
Adobe Gamma Loader - disable

I've commented your list, disable as I've recommended and leave alone those that I've specifically said to leave. With that lot running, your old PC was totally bogged down, and probably almost unusable.

Rik is right that just installing that old HDD in your new pc and copying your files is easier, but if opening your pc voids the warranty or you're not sure what you're doing in there it's best to leave it alone.

Disabling all that stuff did work, and I am so thankful!! Thank you all for your help!! :D

Now I just have to install my memory drivers and all will be well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back