WinAVX /Lost Control Panel / Restricted Access

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

My PC appears to be infected with the WINAVX virus. We have lost the control panel and often receive a message stating that there are restrictions and the matter needs to be referred to the system administrator. This is a single user PC. We've surfed the net for a solution and noticed that you guys are prepared to advise based on a HJT log. We've run the log (although we were unable to re-name hijackthis.exe as crusty.exe because of the restrictions.) Please find the log attached

Many thanks

You need to have a read of this - If your system is infected. Read this before deciding whether to CLEAN or REFORMAT.

Then if you should wish to proceed with cleaning your system you need to go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, Combofix, and AVG Antispyware logs as ATTACHMENTS into this thread, only after doing the above.

This thread is for the use of ROB50 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thanks for the advice. Given the uses of the computer, it looks likel re-format and re-install is the only option. The thing is though that I've tried this already. I've got a Dell computer. A warning message comes up when I try to re-format from the Dell reinstallation CD telling me that the version of windows on the CD is older than the version on my PC and explaining the consequences (which are fine by me!) However, the Continue button is greyed out. I've tried in Safe Mode as well but also without success. The Winavx virus seems to deny access to many functions constantly referring to the need to contact the system administrator. I suspect that the virus is blocking the attempt to re-format. Any ideas?

I doubt that the virus is stopping the installation process. The warning may well be caused by windows appearing to be newer because of windows updates.

If it wont allow you to reinstall then a clean up is the best option in my opinion.

The choice is yours.

This thread is for the use of ROB50 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back