Window Xp Logon Strange Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having some trouble logging onto Windows XP. After click on user on welcome screen, it pops up a dialog box with nothing except yes or no to select. After selecting yes, it flashes the desktop for a few micro-seconds, then logoff again. If select no, it logoff straight away without flashing the desktop. I can login to safe mode, have done a virus scan and adware scan, could not find anything... please advice what can I do...

Yeah more details please, like when did this start happening? Install any dodgy programs lately? What Anti-virus software do you have?

do you remeber if you've done anything recently eg: download, installed, deleted, changed something etc..

can you still use combo keys wehn the msg is popped up? if you can, see what process is running by ctrl+alt+del. if your quick, you can use [start+r] or [New tasks] in task manager, type in "shutdown.exe -a" without " "s and it should stop it from loging off or turning off your pc (theoreticaly)..

do an online scan with trendmicro's housecall may help, and try loading the minimal apps/utilities on normal startup to try eliminate things, and updates etc are applied..

The dialog box says nothing, except can click on yes and no.. The last thing i installed was Nero burning rom 7. This software works on my other laptop without any problem. I have done virus scan - using Computer Association Anti-Virus, found nothing. Also used spybot to search for adware which found no threats. Strange thing is I delete the user profile and created new profile but samething happen. If I do logon user Guest user, the dialog box will change to "ok" box only, with no yes or no option. This is driving me mad...

I could not press anykey on the dialog box, nor it does nothing when i press ctrl-alt-del during the desktop flashes, it just logoff straight away...

ok.. go boot in safe mode.

go [start>run] and type in msconfig
in the startup selection (first tab you see) are 3 options. choose Daignostic startup.
Reboot and see if you can get into your desktop in normal mode.

If you can, then your next step is to go through each tab one by one and start activating services on that tab and reboot etc.. when the problem comes back, go to the last tab you've altered and disable service by service untill you find the culprit, then post it here and/or google it...

i know its a long and arguous process but its possibly the easiest way to find and prevent the reoccurence. And if you do have system restore active, do that as one of your last resort, since it has the possibility to screw up your new nero install.. and a winxp repair as the very last....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back