Window Xp: Losing Control!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryanxxl

Hi everyone!

I'm having quite a weird problem with my window xp.

My system features:

Operating system: winxp version 2002 service pack 2

Processor: Intel pentium 3, 801 mhz

Memery: 128mb ram

Last week, I have FORMATTED my hard disk coz I was unable to get rid of a trojan. I have install winxp service pack 2. I have install Norton antivirus 2006.

Well, something quite crazy happens when I was working.

The pointer started to move around my desktop quickly without me doing something. The start menu was started several times, some actions which I had not done was executed such as opening the window properties , the control panel and stuff like that. I simply lose control of my pc for about less than 30 seconds.

I'm quite sure that it is not a virus coz this problems appears after I have installed winxp and again after the instalation of programs like msword 03, nero, etc. I have use the internet well after that. This problem seems to happen without any apparent reason!

In the begining, I was thinking that It was the SYSTEM RESTORE but no restore point was created when all these weird things happen.

May be I have not configure something correctly!

Please, can someone help me.

Note, this problem happens when I was writing this post. It close all internet explorer windows which was open as well as msword! It's frightening!

You need to try a different mouse, a different keyboard, and get something better that that Norton rubbish.

I help out with malware removal in the Security and the Web forum and see plenty of infected systems that are supposedly protected by Norton.

There's plenty of useful info in the aforementioned forum.

Well, Norton is said to be the best but if you know better antivirus, please, tell me there name!

I am trying several things such as changing my personal settings,etc. I have noted that each time that the system was BUSY, this problem occur!

I am asking myself whether the problem is not related with the memory!

Please, HELP!!!

Who ever told you that Norton is the best is sorely misguided. It is actually among the worst. The reason that a lot of shops sell it is because they usually get a 40% kickback from Symantec (the makers of Norton) on every sale they make of it. I have a friend that has worked in several pc shops who told me that, he saw all the documentation.

Have a look at step 2 in this thread - https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/ for some far far better alternatives.

NO AV product is 100%. Nothing is 100%. No matter what AV product you use it won't detect every single malware/virus on the planet. Including Norton. The only thing AV companies can do is try and improve there scan engines, but thats about it. Norton has been getting a lot of bad rep for years because its poorly written. It takes up an extensive amount of system resources then it should. With each norton release there products just get more bloated. This results in poor performance on the overall pc itself. There are a lot of better alternatives out there. There is no way, ever... would I install Norton into one of my PCs. However I did read that Symantec is finally addressing the performance issues that has been plaguing its norton products. So until they finally address there performance issues you should look into something else. I recommend using AVG, its a small AV program that scans just as good as any other AV program out there. I highly recommend it.

im surprised winxp even runs on 128mb of ram, probably real slow i recommend an upgrade

on topic: i usually use McAfee suite or AVG free and windows firewall

Hi everyone!

Well Rik, I have followed your advise by using a new mouse and keyboard but the problems remains. I am thinking that maybe it is the Norton but I found this explanation really silly!! An antivirus can't take control of your PC at random, isn't it?

The problem is elsewhere! Please Help!!

I was wondering if perhaps this happened while you were connected to the internet? If so, perhaps that trojan is still there and is in fact some sort of remote access software?

Saw this posting and could'nt help but register and give my opinion on this.First of all ,everyone is correct on the Norton av product.It is an overrated resource hog and with you only having 128 mbs of ram ...it is not recommended you use this program along with win xp let alone pro.I actually have my own pc business here in Florida,so take this information as you want,but I hope it is very helpful.
128 mbs of ram is the basic minimum for running win xp pro sp2.It will be fine for browsing the internet and checking emails but not much else without freezing up on you( will not multi task well )but back to the av problem.
Throughout all my testing and repairs onsite and off I find that avg free edition has turned up more viruses that Norton didnt catch than most others.So get rid of Norton and get avg free.If you like it you can buy the pro.Both run very light and you will hardly notice them in the background.
One mistake that I have read that you made

Last week, I have FORMATTED my hard disk coz I was unable to get rid of a trojan.

Formatting does not get rid of the problem.In order to completely clean the drive I recommend a full zero of the drive which restores it back to the original condition when new.This will eliminate the problem and should clear up your jittery mouse and crazy functions if not.....add more ram and the problem will be gone
chances are that the Norton program is too much for 128 mbs of ram.A good zero program is Killdisk pro ....it follows military standard for zeroing hdds.I would try that first.zero out hdd and do another install.avg free is readily available on the net ...do a google search

Hi Everyone! Thanks to all of you who are trying to help me!

Well, I will follow your advise RGARY75! I will zero the drive by using killdisk pro. I hope that will work. And afterward, which antivirus i install, AVG free or AVG pro? I already have both! Which one is better?

You will always have a lagging problem if you only have 128mb. You seriously need to upgrade your ram dude.
Is the jittery keyboard and mouse and start menu pattern always the same, or is it random?
I'm not so sure about zero-ing your hdd. It seems a bit radical and depending on the size of the drive could take an age. If you had a real nasty virus/trojan then maybe, but i don't think you do, i think your mouse and keyboard are playing catchup, due to lack of ram. Almost like you press a key, then 5 mins later after the ram and cpu have finished what they were previously doing (ie. loading up the systray etc), they then respond to your keystroke.
Either way, you won't harm your system by following all the advice so far.
Good luck :)

Ryanxxl said:
Hi Everyone! Thanks to all of you who are trying to help me!

Well, I will follow your advise RGARY75! I will zero the drive by using killdisk pro. I hope that will work. And afterward, which antivirus i install, AVG free or AVG pro? I already have both! Which one is better?

Use the Pro edition - it has more bells & whistles.

I am inclined to agree with k.jacko as the zeroing of the drive does seem a bit over the top to cure this problem. 128 Mb is not really enough but check in task manager to see if the CPU graph and PF graphs are both constantly maxing out?

I hope that works for you.I always install avg and adaware on every repair or new build.Most people dont realize the reason their pc gets slow over time is because it gets clogged up with spyware.I recommend to all my customers to disk cleanup,defrag and run the adaware at least once a week.Zeroing is extreme.... I will agree ! but it is the only proper way to completely clean a hdd.formatting does not remove files and trojans,it just makes them unrecognizable so windows wont display them.If the problem was that the hdd was just full a format would have been fine.But as everyone states your ram is quite low and could be or add to the problem especially if you have integrated video.Being a PIII 801 mhz I am assuming but the max memory is probably 384 I would run that pc with a minimum of 256.

Hi Everyone!

I will try to zeroing my harddisk. Rgary75, is there any thing "dangerous" that I should know about zeroing? Wil I need to modify something in the Bios or is there any particular steps to follow in order to install winxp?

I am only used to formating, not zeroing!!

And yeah, is there any place on the web where I can get a reliable full version of the program killdisk pro? I'am quite lost!

In my book you do not need to zero the drive. A format will do and you can do this as part of the windows install by taking the option to remove the existing partition (and windows willthen put it back again).

lol....no zero ? thats funny,especially after a Trojan was detected.I geuss I have a successful business here because I dont know what I am talking about.Whatever.
Ryanxxl,killdisk is used by floppy disk at start up.kill disk free ver will not completely write zero's to the drive.but will do better than a format.I dont believe the others understand what a format is ? you will know after a zero because you will see the space on your drive will be more than if you were to do a format.And when you go to do a win xp install it will also state, new drive (Raw)which restores your hdd back to original.
The only thing that you need to do in the bios before zeroing is make sure your floppy or fdd is first boot.There is nothing scary or harmful about it.All it does is writes zero's to the drive where there is information.this is better than a format due to it restores your hdd back to original as new(all zero's). where a format does not do this.After doing a zero with killdisk,install windows as normal.My pc is on 24/7 if you need help with this matter

Hi everyone.

I have uninstalled Norton ( Not completely uninstalled coz it was interrupted by an electricity cut and I'am unable to uninstall it completely, though I used the CD!) and installed AVG 7.5 and run a complete scan. I was surprised when it detected 2 trojan downloader which Norton was unable to detect. Avg deleted them.

All of you are right about the limitations of Norton. But the main problem remains, namely the jittering mouse and the execution of
command which I have not launched. So, I think that the trojan is some kind of "SMITH" like in matrix and can't be deleted by the AVG.

Rgary75, you were right. A format doesn't remove the Trojan. So, formatting again will be useless.

Zeroing appears to be the solution!! I will try it this evening and let you know tomorrow, if ever my PC starts!! If you don't see my post, you know that something has goes wrong!

So, I hope to see this forum tomorrow!!

Yeah, I forgot, where could I get the Full version of Kill disk pro on the net. My budget allow me to buy one more software for this month!!

I prefer the full version to enjoy all the benefits of zeroing!

I stick by my earlier post on this - zero is not necessary here. I would only use zeroing if I wanted to obliterate sensitive data on a hard drive that was going to be reused. And even then I have software which will recover stuff (same as the UK Police use, I understand!).

Ryanxxl said:
So, I hope to see this forum tomorrow!!
Lol, possibly not if you're zeroing your drive.

Last time i zero'd a 30Gb drive it took over 8 hours.
I bet your drive is much bigger than 30Gb...

Hi everyone!

Wel, Rgary75, I have followed your advice and zero my HDD. But the problem is still here.

So, it is not related to any trojan.

I am able now to better understand the problem.

MY MOUSE OPENS PROGRAMS AND CLOSE OTHERS "ON ITS OWN".

It is not related to memory coz I before I never got this problem. This problem started after I install winxp after formatting my harddisk. Now, though I have zero my HDD, The problem remains.

I'm having ANOTHER problem. My PC don't shut down COMPLETELY. Though it told me that "now you can turn off your computer safely", My harddisk do not shut down and the GREEN light don't switch off.

My God, Could someone help me. SURELY, IT IS NOT A VIRUS OR A TROJAN .. I think that it has something to do with drivers, windows configuration, etc

Note, winxp has itself installed my mouse!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back