Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 is Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

Thanks to Mictlantecuhtli, for making this post here, where he draws our attention to the fact that Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 has now been released.

You go can here for the fixlist, which includes a wide range of bug fixes, security fixes, etc.

I don't see anything on the Official Microsoft Site, but I am sure that that's on its way.

As always, its recommended that you backup your existing configuration before applying service packs, especially if its on a mission critical server.

Network install - 130M

Express install - 600k

Great, that'll help me fix all the Service Pack 3 problems until Service Pack 5 comes out to fix the problems that 4 causes. Yeah, Microsoft!!!

As I pointed out, MAKE A BACKUP!!!

SP4 just trashed my server (blue screen on every boot).

Fortunately, I do have a backup, and was back in business within 20 minutes.

Just be careful. As with kernel compiles in linux, remember that you are upgrading its brains, so have plan b ready just in case.

I haven't bothered trying to get to the bottom of it yet, but I am sure its not much. Probably some kind of driver conflict, or somesuch.

The machine is my NAT server, so I just wanted back on the internet and didn't bother even trying safe mode and looking at the event logs, etc.

To tell the truth, I am thinking about moving to 2003 server, however one can't deny the obvious stability of an OS that's reached service pack 4, certainly from an NT point of view. A nice clean install of WIndows 2000 Server with service pack 4 straight on top before anything else probably runs like a treat.

I agree, Phantasm. I've worked at a decent-sized NT web hosting company for awhile, and due to so many issues in Windows 2000 on our development/testing servers, we didn't upgrade our NT4 servers until SP2 came out.

It's probably best to make sure that everything is perfect before you deploy.

I've installed service pack 4 on my experimental server install on my 2nd machine (where its a domain controller with ISA server, exchange, oracle, etc) and its fine.

Originally posted by Phantasm66

Can you give me some pointers about what i should back up?

Phantasm also stated
however one can't deny the obvious stability of an OS that's reached service pack 4

almost paradoxical... Is it not? ;)

Originally posted by Unregistered

As far as backing up goes, I find it easiest to use Norton Ghost in these instances.

Originally posted by Unregistered

We probably have the same issue. I will try and find out what it is.

You should Drive Image or Norton Ghost your system, or at least backup the system state before applying a service pack.

dmm1104

I am by no means a techie. I am as green as they come! I have XP on laptop and 2000 pro on desktop. I want to do a clean install of 2kpro, with the latest service pack. My computer was so corrupted with trojans and spyware that the clean install makes the most sense. My question is: Is there anyway to download 2000sp4 without it installing? I figured I could download it to the laptop, zip it, copy it to disk and install it on the desktop. Can this be done so I do not have to go online to get it with the new install? I am dreadfully afraid of security issues after this!!

Yes if you go to the downloads section of Microsoft you can get SP4 and save it to your laptops HDD then just burn it to disk.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

dmm1104

Thanks Howard!
I was afraid it would automatically begin installing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back