Windows 2000 will not load with Radeon 9550 drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that this is the correct forum to post this plea. My apologies if it is not. I have just installed an ATI Radeon 9550 graphics card in a dual boot machine (Windows 98SE on C: and Windows 2000 on E:). The Radeon drivers for Windows 98 work fine. The card runs with minimum functions in Windows 2000 without the ATI drivers. However, when the ATI drivers are loaded, Windows 2000 ceases to load and reboots continuously at the point where the load screen normally switches to the desktop. I presume that, because the card works fine with Windows 98SE and is recognised by Win 2000, the problem is somewhere in Win 2000. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

System tech specs:

Motherboard: Tyan S1854 Trinimty 400 (rev. 1.06)
Pentium III 667Mhz
Award P & P bios v. 1.0A (1999?)

CMOS setup:
video: EGA/VGA

Bios setup:
PCI/VGA pallet snoop: Disabled
Video bios shadow: Enabled
(all settings default values)

Chipset features:
Video RAM chacheable: Enabled
AGP Aperature size: 64Mb
AGP-4x mode: Enabled
AGP driving control: Auto

PNP/PCI configeration:
AGP master IWS write: Disabled
AGP master IWS read: Disabled
Assign IRQ for VGA: Enabled
Init display first: PCI slot

Windows 98SE is loaded on the first partition on Drive C. ATI Radeon 9550 drivers are loaded and Device Manager says everything is O.K. The card works well with PhotoShop CS in Windows 98SE.

Windows 2000 is loaded on the second partition (Drive E). The Radeon 9550 drivers are recognised and installed then the screen goes blank and the endless boot/reboot process starts. On each reboot, the Win 2000 start up screen displays.

Win 2000 Hardware Resources lists 'Video controller (VGA compatible)' and 'Netgear FA311 Fast Ethernet PCI adapter' (both) on IRQ 11. No conflict is shown.

I had the same problem

I have a different post about my own ati radeon 9550 problems which you can find here on techspot.
But I have resolved my problem.
I upgraded my chipset and then was able to download the latest ati radeon 9550 drivers. My computer works fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back