Windows 2000: wont start up, constantly rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend just bought an old lap top from a company that upgraded. She didn't have the administrator password just a user name and password to log on to the computer. So, i ran the boot disk that i found online. I changed the administrator password to blank. It worked, I booted up as the admin. So since it hasn't been updated in over 3years. I updated norton coporate and updated windows. Windows had 31 critical updates. After the windows update it wanted to restart. Then after it shut down and started back up it wouldnt boot into windows. I would get to the screen after where it says press f8, then it would reboot after that. I tried each of the different ways to boot and none worked, it would still just constantally reboot everytime it got to the same window.
The only drive I can use right now is the floppy drive. So is there any boot disk available that will help me out with this issue?

If you could get to any other windows 2000 machine (Or even a windows 98) you can create a boot disk. Just take your floppy, put it in the drive, and when in "My Computer" tell it to format the disk, there should be a box that says "Create MS DOS boot disk". Once you boot to the boot disk, and you reach the command prompt, type the word CHKDSK. This will check your HD for windows errors and repair them. You should then be able to get into windows just fine, but if I were you I would get rid of Norton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back