Windows 2003 Server USB disconnects itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

This is my first (actually second post not counting introduction) post on the forum, so please don't shout at me :)

I have a question I haven't found answer on the whole internet. I have a Windows 2003 Server machine and a software which uses USB key to validate the software legality in the network. The thing is, the USB key disconnects every once in a while (every few days) and the software pops up a message "Key validation error". I check the server and the key is turned off. When I reset the machine everything is back normal, but in next few days the same situation happens. Many people use the software, and when the USB key goes down they cannot work. I contacted USB key vendor and they never had issue like that.

Anybody knows any of the questions:
1. What could be the reason for such behavior?
2. How to fix it permanently?
3, How to make a periodical (once a day) USB port reset (turn off and back on)?

Thanks in advance,
Benio

You might want to go into your Device manager and right click on the USB key, and check for any "Power Saving options". Your server might be telling it to shut off after so long.

gavinseabrook said:
You might want to go into your Device manager and right click on the USB key, and check for any "Power Saving options". Your server might be telling it to shut off after so long.

Gavinseabrook, thanks for the advise. The thing is though, that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." is off :(( maybe there is a key in the registry, stating some time interval to shut down USB devices?

There are some items in "Details" tab in the list, but hell knows what they mean. :/

Benio

Try checking your Event Viewer around the times the USB key disconnects itself and see if a warning or error is occuring. If so post the Event ID and the Source here.

gavinseabrook said:
Try checking your Event Viewer around the times the USB key disconnects itself and see if a warning or error is occuring. If so post the Event ID and the Source here.

Nothing in event viewer :( pure as mountain water ... I have set today one key in the registry though - in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\USB I've added DisableSelectiveSuspend with a value of 1. We'll see if it helps.

Have you ever used Alladin License Manager, because I found that it suspends user session today and it is possible this is not USBs fault, but this damned software.

I guess making sure its a legal copy of a software. Anyways, we'll see if adding the key worked ... noone complained yet that the USB key went down, so I guess so far so good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back