Windows 2k doesn't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinodkumar

Hi

I am using a dual boot system with Windows XP Pro on one HDD and Windows 2000 Pro on another. Everything was going fine until recently when Windows 2k refused to boot up. When I try to boot Win 2k it restarts before the log-in screen appears and repeats the process in an unending loop.

I tried to boot to safe mode and last known good configuration, but both resulted in the same loop-rebooting.

The HDD Win 2k is on is accessible from XP, however. But I have certain programmes installed on Win2k and works done with them, so I want to avoid the pain of installing all those programmes on XP too.

Regards.

Vinod

I had already run a repair process by inserting the W2k CD and choosing the repair option at Setup. First I chose fast repair, but it was not successful. At the second attempt I was asked to insert an emergency repair disk and I did so. In the process it showed a message saying that it could not copy the file speech.dll. I was given two options: one to retry and the other to skip copying the file. The first proved unsuccessful so I chose to skip. The following were the other files I had to skip thus: spchtel.dll, vcmd.exe, vcauto.tlb, vtext.tlb, vcmshl.dll, speech.hlp, speech.cnt, Xlisten.dll, Xvoice.dll, Xcommand.dll, Vdict.dll, Vtext.dll, Xtel.dll, WrapSAPI.dll, mstask.ini.

After completing the repair thus the system restarted. But things were the same as they had been before the repair except that it also killed my XP installation. However, I booted from the XP CD and repaired XP,but 2k remains in the same condition.

Vinod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back