Windows 2k Repair/Install Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so i was having problems with my computer. But i didnt want to lose any saved information, so i decided to do a repair of my computer using the Windows 2000 Pro CD.

I go through the process, and it tells me to restart. So i do that, and it starts to load, it goes through the first 2 phases of the install without a problem. Then on the third phase, somehwere around the Registering Components.. it freezes.

So i try again, still freezes. Always at the same point. So my question is.. how do i reformat my computer? At this point, i dont care about lost files. I just want my computer back!

The problem is, every time i restart, it takes me back to the stupid upgrade. (dont know why it says upgrade, considering i was trying to do a repair) And it always freezes in thes same spot.

I have no clue how to bipass this phase of the install. No matter how many time i restart my computer, it keeps doing the same thing.

I tried the boot disks (all 4 of them)

And my 4th disk always fails on me. So am i missing something.. do i even need these disks, and if i do, i suppose i just need to find a new disk because it might be corrupted.

Sorry for the long post. I really need to get off of this old crappy computer and back to my other one. Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to email me also. Thanks

juslen said:
Alright, so i was having problems with my computer. But i didnt want to lose any saved information, so i decided to do a repair of my computer using the Windows 2000 Pro CD.

I go through the process, and it tells me to restart. So i do that, and it starts to load, it goes through the first 2 phases of the install without a problem. Then on the third phase, somehwere around the Registering Components.. it freezes.

So i try again, still freezes. Always at the same point. So my question is.. how do i reformat my computer? At this point, i dont care about lost files. I just want my computer back!

The problem is, every time i restart, it takes me back to the stupid upgrade. (dont know why it says upgrade, considering i was trying to do a repair) And it always freezes in thes same spot.

I have no clue how to bipass this phase of the install. No matter how many time i restart my computer, it keeps doing the same thing.

I tried the boot disks (all 4 of them)

And my 4th disk always fails on me. So am i missing something.. do i even need these disks, and if i do, i suppose i just need to find a new disk because it might be corrupted.

Sorry for the long post. I really need to get off of this old crappy computer and back to my other one. Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to email me also. Thanks

Just boot from the 2K CD and choose to do a new install, delete the existing partition and install from scratch

Jud

Every time i boot from the Windows 2k CD, it brings me back to the install/upgrade... it freezes every time. How do i boot from the CD, and choose new install?

Like i have said, since i already started a repair/upgrade or whatever the heck it is.. every time i restart and boot from the CD, it bring me back to where i left off, and it FREEZES.

So what do i do?

Make sure you hardware is on the approved Hardware list at Microsoft.
I would try first running a HDD checking utility from a floppy. You can get these from any HDD manuf... web site .Try to use the same as your brand HDD>
Then clean your Windows disk and then copy the install file 1386 to a partition on you HDD, that is not the Partition you want to install windows in.
You can then use a boot floppy to start the Setup.

have the bios setup to boot first from the cdrom or dvd
then you should see a prompt to press any key to boot fro mcd or dvd
now there is no (any Key) some people have look for it
press enter
this should get you back to the install setup
let it run untill you get to the prompt for where to install highligh the drive/partition and delete this
once this is done you will be back to same screen and here you will reformat and install
make sure the disc has no scratchs and is clean
this may be one reason it was bad install
other bad copy of OS
what version of W2K
windows 2000 will run on a 300mhz machine at 128 mb ram
but the video cards can be the headache
in bios disable video shadowing

EDIT**

I just got it.

I set the BIOS again, i guess i had it on floppy to boot first.

I set it to..

CD ROM
Hardrive
CDROM

And i notices the push "any key" promt. I hit that, and it brought me to the screen to choose a repair, or an install of Windows 2000

Stupid me, i had been on that screen before, and i pressed "REPAIR" I was misreading it, i guess i was looking for a reformat option.. instead of INSTALL.

Sorry i didnt catch that earlier. Computer stuff just get me all stressed out.

Thanks to everyone for the help. And i hope if anyone finds this, they wont make the same stupid mistake as me. Cus trust me.. the fix was right in front of me the entire time, lol

Have a nice day everyone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back