Windows 64-bit Edition..build 1218

Status
Not open for further replies.

vassil3427

It's been forever since I posted on this site....gotta love techspot...

Alright my Athlon 64 2800+ will be here tomorrow, along with some other goodies..

New Specs:
Athlon 64 2800+
Asus K8N MB
512MB PC3200
120GB WD HDD
Ati AIW 9600

Anyway my question pertains to the Free download MS offers for Windows XP 64-bit edition. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

I went ahead and downloaded it and burned the cd and everything. Is it worth installing? Or should I just install my XP Home? Have there been many problems with XP 64-bit Ed.? I found it difficult locating any info on it.

I'm getting a new mobo with AMD64 too, and was wondering about wether I should install XP/Pro, XP-64bit, or stay with Windows 2000 for the time being?

Well i'll have my system up and going tomorrow, and I'll install Windows XP Pro 64-bit edition (the one from the link). I'll tell ya how it works out, I read up a bit on it, and they say the 64-bit cpu's perform alot better in the 64-bit enviroment, and there is little to no impact on 32-bit applications.

Everyone's going 64 :angel:

I've tried it.

The biggest issues is all your hardware natively support / or can you find the beta 64 bit drivers for you hardware.

I have mixed feelings about the OS (as the beta it is now). Mainly only 2/3 of my hardware had drivers / worked, so for me it was not that functional as a main OS. It's worth to check it out to see how it works.

Some of the things I noticed, there are two program files directories. One is for "32 bit Program Support". It appears that it has to emulate 32bit support for programs in some / other cases.

From what I've been reading the most noticable improvement functions (as it works now) is encoding / decoding emprovments due to the much faster cpu <-> OS. Games due to buggy driver run slower then on same system with just XP.

I tried installing Windows XP 64-bit and after beginning setup, it always blue screens, with the same stop error. I tried switching out for another strip of ram, changed video cards...ect...It must not like my system....needless to say I guess I'm stuck with XP home for a little while....On the bright side, I love my A64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back