Windows 7 Dies Today: Here’s What You Need to Know

learninmypc

Can I Still Use Windows 7?
Windows 7 will keep working normally, just like Windows XP does. If you have a PC running Windows 7 or Windows XP, you can use it on January 15, 2020, just as you could on January 13, 2020. Microsoft won’t stop you from using your PC. You may see some nags informing you that “Your Windows 7 PC is out of support,” but that’s it.

We recommend you avoid using Windows 7. If you do keep using this operating system, it’s now especially important that you have security software (like an antivirus) installed and take steps to secure your PC.
FULL ARICLE

Back to reality -- Win/7 didn't die at all (I've booted several times). The ability to get service updates is the only issue. Just as the U.S. Navy is still running XP, I'll be happy with Win/7 as long as I can get a browser to operate.

Back to reality -- Win/7 didn't die at all (I've booted several times). The ability to get service updates is the only issue. Just as the U.S. Navy is still running XP, I'll be happy with Win/7 as long as I can get a browser to operate.
Interesting opinion, do you not see a purpose in updating to newer versions of Windows and other OS? ?

Interesting opinion, do you not see a purpose in updating to newer versions of Windows and other OS? ?
absolutely not -- I abhor Win/10, have tons of development software (including the Apache Web Server) and Linux emulation on Win/7 Pro 64bit and happy as a clam. Running a locked-down system with a good proactive AV like Avast! Free keeps the system clean.

If and when Win/7 becomes no longer viable, I'll opt for another 21" Mac

Last edited by a moderator:
absolutely not -- I abhor Win/10, have tons of development software (including the Apache Web Server) and Linux emulation on Win/7 Pro 64bit and happy as a clam. Running a locked-down system with a good proactive AV like Avast! Free keeps the system clean.

If and when Win/7 becomes no longer viable, I'll opt for another 21" Mac
That's a point I'm sure many would agree with, I have heard many things about Microsoft's latest OS and not all of them good, however I personally opt for the cleaner and more simplistic Windows 10 (at least in my quite uneducated opinion) however I'm unsure about your point on Macs. I very much dislike Apple as a company, I find their products overpriced and aimed towards pure profit, and would be interested to find out why you would opt for purchasing a Mac as opposed to say, building a desktop. ?

I personally opt for the cleaner and more simplistic Windows 10
and I don't need a parochial OS to manage my choices, updates and GUI changes willy-nilly.

Our Mac's history go back to Mac OS 8.1and 68000 processors (currently OS X 10.13). Our Linux predates Red Hat 7. I still have a Dell Laptop with the Win/7 as a residual from employment opportunities, but I've already declared its future.

I don't expect anyone here to understand or follow that lead -- they probably should not either :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Microsoft's final act to kill Win/7:
Microsoft's final Windows 7 update kills desktop wallpaper

Windows 7 users on Reddit have reported that recent Windows 7 updates have removed wallpapers, giving them instead an empty black image, as per MSPoweruser. The switch occurred after Windows 7 updates were released on January 14.

"Starting on January 15, 2020, a full-screen notification will appear that describes the risk of continuing to use Windows 7 Service Pack 1 after it reaches end of support on January 14, 2020. The notification will remain on the screen until you interact with it," Microsoft warned.

see the comments from ZDnet.com.

would be interested to find out why you would opt for purchasing a Mac as opposed to say, building a desktop.
Prior experience with the platform. I've built tons of radio equipment including mobile transmitters and there's no thrill to assembling a PC workstation. Our first computer to bring home was a Mac IIci for desktop publishing. The structure fit with my work experience at the time (Unix).

I have no issues with those with only Microsoft PCs, while I find it useful to pick from a larger list of heterogeneous systems.

AVAST NOTICE:
Yes, we have you covered and we will fully support Avast antivirus products on Windows 7.

“Worldwide, roughly 26% of PC users are still running Windows 7, the operating system (OS) that as of January 14 will no longer receive technical support in the form of updates and patches from Microsoft,” says Martin Zima, Avast senior product manager for protection products.

"According to our own research, more than a third of our PC users have Windows 7 installed, which is largely due to ongoing preference for the product versus newer versions.”

Zima said ending technical support for Windows 7 leaves the machines on which it’s installed vulnerable to cyberattacks that seek to exploit unpatched flaws. “In the interest of our users’ security and privacy, Avast will continue to provide virus definition updates and product updates for Windows 7 for those who are unable or do not wish to make the switch to a newer version of Windows.”

How long will Avast continue support for Windows 7? For at least two years.

Back