Windows 98 as a proxy server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mictlantecuhtli

No, I'm not trying to use ICS. I just want a computer to work as a proxy server. The machine has NE2000 nic, local network works just fine. But, as soon as I connect, with my GPRS cellphone (as a standard modem in serial port), to Internet, LAN stops working. The machine finds itself with ping but no other computers. There are no firewalls installed, it's just plain 98, not even SE. LAN continues working the moment I disconnect the dialup connection. I'd like to get that LAN working while the machine would still be online.
And, LAN must use TCP/IP.
Can't Win9x just bind TCP/IP to multiple connections at once?

hmm it should be able to. I remember having a Win98SE proxy once for hosting an ISDN connection a long time ago. The proxy software I was using back then was Sygate and the NIC I was using was an 3Com ISA NIC.

ss1.

It doesn't matter which proxy software I'm using, the computer just disappears from LAN when it's connected to Internet.

From Unable to Browse RAS Clients from the Local Area Network:
The information in this article applies to:

* Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
* Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0
* Microsoft Windows 95
* Microsoft Windows 98

When you use only TCP/IP, HOST announcements are not broadcast to the LAN. When you use the NetBEUI protocol dial-up connection, the NetBIOS gateway forwards HOST announcements to the LAN. The NetBEUI protocol allows RAS clients to communicate with the browser servers on the LAN through the NetBIOS gateway on the RAS server. The NetBEUI protocol therefore allows RAS clients to be added to the LAN browse list.
Does this mean it's not possible with 98 without NetBEUI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back