windows and new hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive got a delema ive just bought an older laptop for cheap that works fine for my needs exept fo the fact that it has a small hard drive. the problem im having is finding a way to get windows on my new hard drive with out spending $100 on a new windows xp cd and regrestration code. i herd that there is a way of doing it with out buying a new windows cd. the people i talked to said that i need to borrow a friends xp cd and load it on to my new hard drive, and then there is a file from my old computer that i copy on to a cd that shows that windows is regristered. if this is true could some one telll me exactly how to do it.

you got it partially right. use the attached file, run it and it will tell you your kp key. if you extracted it, it will save you key to a .txt file in that location. PRINT IT!! don't lose that. then go borrow your friend's xp CD. make sure you have the right CD(ie home-home, pro-pro). then your free to reload. if you don't have a friend with an xp cd, go to your local comuter shop and see if they will make you a copy. All the CD's are the same, but its the code thats the gold.

Good luck

provided your friend deletes his copy of XP- you're legit (other wise this is piracy and techspot doesn't tolerate this behavior.)

But you can use ANY CD as long as you have the right key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back