Windows blank desktop at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, here's my problem. I think it has happened before under different circumstances, but anyway...when trying to install a better video card, Windows seems to start up, but all I get is an 800x600 screen with my startup screen wallpaper and a functioning mouse pointer. That's it. Nothing more. It happened the first time i plugged the monitor into the new (Radeon 8500) video card, and then started doing the same thing when I reverted back to my old (nvidia nForce 2 onboard video) after uninstalling the nVidia display drivers. Oh, I think it also did it whenever I tried to boot in Safe Mode before as well. Something about VGA mode not working? Please help.

is vga enabled in the bios? are you sure you're plugged into you're
new video card, and not the onboard vga? i've done that before like
an *****.

Can you ctrl+alt+del into the task manager?

In task manager, kill explorer.exe, then execute file->new task(run)...->explorer.exe<enter>

still no start menu?

Yes, VGA is enabled, and no, ctrl + alt + del does not do anything. In fact no key combinations that my [relatively] experienced mind can conceive does anything. I tell you, the more you know about computers, the harder it is to get help. If only the Windows monopoly was broken...it's kinda ironic that I'm using my Mac to find out how to fix my pc, eh?

Solution

I solved the problem. I guess I should detail the solution, just in case some other poor sap has the same problem and sees this thread with no posted solution.

Solution: I did a repair installation of Windows XP. Problem solved.

Not very helpful as far as quick solutions go, but I think I might have some insight as to why it worked. This is just a shot in the dark, but it could have had something to do with the fact that Flyakite OSX was installed on my computer (an XP theme/skin to look like Apple's Aqua GUI).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back