Windows blue screen flash after upgrading win xp home with win xp pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried upgrading win xp home with win xp pro, which according to the sticky i shouldnt have done! I lost my original win xp home cd so was using a win xp pro copy i got.

Now after i finished upgrading i get the 'windows wans not shut down properly, please select one of these options, safe mode....' then when i select any of these i get the blue screen flash and it restarts.

Before i did the upgrade i got a message saying that the win will not recognise ur hd as it is greater than 137G i dont know if this has anything to do with it, i have 2 HD a 40G which came wi pc and a 160G which i installed bout 4 mths ago.

I tried reparing it but am getting the same error ever time after set up. Dont want to try a full reinstall cause i stupidly never backed up my files.

Can i just repair with a win xp home CD or do i have to do a full reinstall?
Cheers if anyone can help

Windows XP needs Service Pack 1 in order to handle hard drives >137GB.

If the CD you used to upgrade to XP Pro didn't include SP1 then you have to find a XP Pro CD that does.

My cd does have SP2, not sure if the HD is the problem, i'm just assuming. So i can upgrade from Home to Pro? i also added some new ram about 6 months ago and a graphics carb but they have all worked grand until i decided to upgrade

I had the same problem... my fix was to unplug all the extra HD's only had the 40G where XP is installed... changed the bios to make sure boot was to the CD. (my CD is bootable). then repaired the XP install..using upgrade. rebooted and XP was working fine... shut down and re plugged all the Large HD's.. viola they showed up, installed SP2 via save on large HD..

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back