Windows cannot see modem and sound card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently needed to reinstall XP home to get a PC back to the "as new" condition. This gave me a few problems, and I eventually deleted the existing partitions and allowed XP to create a new one.
All went well - windows loaded up - everything fine.
But now windows claims my internal dial-up modem is not working (i know it is) and also claims I do not have a sound card installed - i know i have. I also have a second internal hard disc and this has also disappeared.
I assume that when I deleted the partition information i deleted some vital stuff that i should not have done - but this is a guess.
I have reinstalled all the drivers - but no luck.
Any clues on what I might have done and how i get windows to see these devices again? The "add new hardware" wizard is no good as the PC does not admit that there is any hardware.
Help!

Well if you don't have any yellow "?" in device manager try removing the cards and booting, then reinstalling them. See if Windows sees them then.

Knowing the mobo might help. Is the other drive SATA? Cheak BIOS settings too.

Mobo is Matsonic. Not SATA drive. What BIOS settings should I check? Is it possible that deleting all the partition info (the main disc appeared to have two partitions and I deleted both) has caused this info?
Thanks for the reply.

I do not know what Bios you have ,but if you check each page one will have PCI options,etc.Look to see if these items listed/disabled .Onboard sound /modem if availible disabled? Read very carefully in Biops setup , you can cause real problems if you make improper changes.

You may just need to install drivers(but you should see yellow question marks in device manager). Run the drivers from the motherboard's CD-ROM.

There shound be somewhere to inable/disable onboard devices in BIOS setup. Some boards do have problems seeing PCI cards so removing, booting, and putting them back in can somtimes help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back