"Windows did not start successfully"

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I read through quite a few posts on here. Mind you I didn't read them all. And I haven't found the answer that I need. So here is my problem. When I restart the computer I get all the way to the Windows XP boot screen. My computer then restarts. Then I get the following screen:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

I can always pick "Last Known Good Configuration". It will always put me right into Windows. The only problem is that when Windows updates and I have to restart the computer everything is rolled back to the "Last Known Good Configuration". This problem happens every single time. I tried system restore with no luck.

Any ideas or help will be very beneficial. Thanks.

Your copy of windows is probably corrupted. Back up your data and reinstall. I know this is drastic but experience shows that repairs to this sort of problem rarely work.
The last time I came across this it was caused by an application that was making changes to and corrupting the registry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back