Windows does not boot and keep restarting -Urgent Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day guys,
I just got this extremely strange problem.

Ok let me try to describe it.
I just reformated my harddisk (to get rid of spyware and all) at my friend place and loaded it with a fresh copy of windows XP complete with SP2.

I tested the newly loaded Windows on my harddisk at my friends comuter and it works perfect.

Happily i bring the harddisk home and plugged it into my PC but to my horror,
it just wont load up!

When it started up, it came to a screen that ask me for a choice as to which way do i want to load up window - safe mode, normal mode, Last known good configuration, but no matter which one i choose , a blue screen will show up for a split second and the entire system will restart itself.

At first i tot it is due to a bad harddisk, but when i plugged my harddisk into my brother comp nest door, it works perfect. When i used my brother existing harddisk on my comp, the same blue screen come back on.

I am totally lost and confused. I am 1 whose work rely heavily on my computer... i thought myself to be pretty techy and savvy but this case is really beyond me.. Please help me out thank!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You will need to reformat the drive and reinstall Windows using your own machine.

The reason it works fine on your friends system, but not on yours, is because it will have the hardware configuration for your friends computer. This won`t work on your system.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I see, thanks howards for your prompt reply.

Sorry if this sound like a newbie question?

How do i reformat my harddisk on my currently PC that keep on restarting?

Will appreciate it lots if you are able to give me a list of steps to follow.

Many thanks in advance!!

You need to do the following.

1 restart your computer and go to setup usually by pressing the F2 or delete key.

2 Once you get into setup look for the boot menu and make sure you set it to boot from cd first followed by your hard drive.

3 Put the Windows xp disk into your cd.

4 Now save your settings and exit setup.

5 While your computer is booting you will see a message that says "press any key to boot from cd" press any key.

6 When the welcome to setup screen appears press enter and then press F8 to accept the Microsoft licence agreement.

7 You will be prompted to repair an insallation press the escape key.

8 Now select the partition that you want to reformat and press the D key to delete it you will be asked to confirm that you want to delete the partition.

9 Now press C to create a brand new partition you will be asked what size you want the partition to be in mega bytes. If you just press enter then the partition will be the maximum size that you can have. This is perfectly ok if you don`t want to create multiple partitions.

10 You will now be asked to format the partition select the ntfs file sytem and do a full format.

11 Once the format is complete setup will continue.

Your computer will restart during the remaining setup again you will be asked to press any key to boot from cd DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING. and setup will continue. Once the setup is complete and you are back in Windows remove the Windows cd from your cd drive.

Regards Howard :)

Thanka great deal hopkins!
Really much appreciated. I will go and try out the following steps and keep you posted of the outcome :)

Wish me luck! Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back