Windows explorer crahing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKJay15

Whenever i restart my computer it boots to the welcome screen then when it logs into the user it givers the "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for any inconvenience." and my system just sits there with nothing but my wallpaper up. I can open the task manager via ctrl+alt+del but i cannot run anything because everytime i try to it gives me the same error. This is a big pain since i cant use my computer at all any ideas???

System:
Windows XP SP2
AMD Athlon 64 3200 venice
1 gb ram
200gb HD

Boot into safe mode and use system restore to go back to a time when it worked,
or just uninstall your most recent program.

You can also use the Recovery Console (just about) to do a restore.See here

Some causes of Explorer crashes :

1.Recent installation of a program that is in some way incompatible.
Occasional culprits - PC Anywhere-Zone Alarm Antivirus.

2.Viruses/Spyware

3.Windows updates

4.Accessing .avi files or other video/image files.

5.Recent mapping of a network drive.

if you can't use it at all, and you don't have an F9 recovery, i would say it may need a clean install of windows, if you cant do a repair.

Thanks alot for your help but i have some interesting problems:

1. When i boot into safe mode i recieve the same error, but i can use the command prompt.

2. I cant use the recovery concil because when i try to use it i recieve the error that windows cannot detect any installations to repair.

3. When i try to even do just a clean install of windows i recieve the error that windows cannot detect any hard disk.

Any ideas on these errors? Thanks alot!

In safe mode can you check the device manager to see if there are any driver problems with controllers, hard drives or the like?

No, unless there is a way to check it through the command line because anytime i try to load any thing that uses a graphical interface it says windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close, so if i can do it via the command line then i think i can but im not sure how to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back