Windows Explorer crashes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bark4Soul

I dont know where to start with this, ever since I formatted, certain /avi's make my windows explorer crash when I try to access it, can anyone tell me why this would be or can I post something for someone? 've been trying to watch an eisode of 24 for days now and I cant cause it's crashing my stuff! Please, any ideas here would help at least give me insight as to why this is going down!!

That`s the old thumbnail preview problem.

Windows trys to show thumbnails of vids and pics,only

it crashes Explorer in the process.

To turn off previews -

Go to Start/Run/and type - regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll click OK.

to turn them on again(if you want to) regsvr32 shmedia.dll

You can copy and paste those into the run box.

More HERE

Well now my Windows Media Player is crashing too, I did what u suggested earlier, and tested it, the first video crashed my WMP, any other ideas....heh?

Did you look at that LINK I gave you ?

That explains how to deregister both media and image previews,

using run commands.I`m not saying you didn`t do it right,but maybe I am really :p

There is also a registry fix if your comfortable in the registry(backup the key first) -

Run regedit and find the following key :-

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler

Delete the "Default" value then close.

Please read that link first. There are a few other ways of achieving the same result.

Imma try and get the newest version of DivX, it seemed to fix some of those guy issues then ill mess with Reg Edit, thanx Po!

Bark4soul, I have the same problems as you have described. I've tried the

1) Open a command window (Start->Run, type in 'cmd' hit enter)
2) To remove image preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll
4) To remove media preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll

from the prescribed link to disable my media and image previews. But, that only fixes the explorer crashing problem. My WMP (and WMC) still crashes when I attempt to play an avi file.

I've tried to delete the default key but it's read only (I don't have permission to delete or remove the read-only permission).

I've even amended the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >SOFTWARE >Classes > CLSID > {87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}> InProcServer32

key according to this post http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc3/v31/vic31.htm (which was a link from your link Po).

Have you fixed the problem Bark4soul or do you have any other ideas Po'Girl?

Maybe update your codecs on your machine. You may not have the correct codecs installed for whatever avi u r trying to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back