Windows (Home Edition) won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer will not load Windows and keeps restarting. It shows the 'Windows did not shut down properly' screen and will not boot from safe mode or last known config. (or normally!)

I entered the BIOS (I'm a novice at this so if you have advice keep it simple please!) and the hard drive is not listed as the primary drive or slave drive. I tried to intall windows from the CD but it won't register, presumably because of a HD problem(?)

Possible causes:
*I have a SATA Hard drive and almost every time I started the computer a window with 'SATA raid' was open in windows. There was just text that looked like dos gobbledigook so I always just closed it which never seemed to have any repurcussions. Maybe I was wrong(?)

*I could have downloaded something nasty-I was making a big playlist in iTunes the last time i had it working. The day it stopped working it booted windows but everything was frozen-the mouse was reactive but I couldn't click on anything so I restarted.... I haven't been able to start windows since. :(

general info:
I have an ASUS A7N8X/Deluxe motherboard and a Western digital SATA hard drive.
The computer hasn't been moved so I doubt it is a loose connection

Please help. I'm about to try my HD on a friends computer but aside from that I don't know where else to start.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back