Windows Installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smellypenguin

Hey there.

Iv re-installed XP a few times recently with full formats of the HDD, I have everything as wanted this time but one major problem.

It boots up with SP1 loaded and i can install all the programs i want and everything works perfect, Yet when i download SP2 and install that windows installer suddenly errors when trying to install anything. This prevents me from being able to install most the programs i want.

The Error It Gives Is "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in a safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

Things I Have Tried

Making sure service is enabled
Re-installing service pack 2
Windows repair
/unregister /regserver
Made sure full privilages are given
Re-installing Windows Installer
A host of other random wacky solutions

Can anyone shed any light on this? Or atleast has anyone else had this problem?! Its driving me insane.

Thanks, Sp

Do a Microsoft search for Windows Installer 3.1 download... using Internet Explorer... not Firefox, not Opera
Or just do a Microsoft Updates using Internet Explorer.
Your lack of current installer will be detected, and will be downloaded and installed as one of the first three files that Microsoft sends you.

Have you tried installing Windows and then installing SP2 first? Perhaps one of the applications you're installing is causing the issue.

I already have the installer ray, it just seems corrupted.

I havent tried installing SP2 First, Im wondering if theres a way around this without re-formatting or removing all my programs ect.

Installing Service Pack 2 should work on any system without causing any need to reformat or deal with any programs. Its installation is transparent and trouble free in the hundreds we have installed.

You can order the disc from Microsoft for $3.40 on a credit card, which is easier than doing the download, giving you better control over the install.

Sorry i didnt mention, after i repair windows with the windows disk it removes SP2 anyway so i have to re-install it. Done that a good few times with no avail.

That would be natural and normal, but you need Service Pack 2 for most other downloads and other uses for the computer. A great many functions and software simply will not work properly unless you have Service Pack 2 installed. When You have the SP2 disc, then you just install SP 2 after you install all the regular software and before you install the automatic updates.

I dont think you quite understand. I have service pack 2, and the problem occurs when i have service pack 2 installed. Without it the windows installer works fine. Im currently running SP2 and windows installer wont work, thats the issue im having. I have re-installed SP2 a few times without it fixing the problem

If I were you, I'd just slipstream SP2 into my Windows install disk and then do a fresh install of XP (this time SP2 will already be on) and that should fix your problem. Only downside is you have to install XP again, but at least you won't be caught in an endless cycle of problems.

Yea i thought about it but i really dont want to lose all the stuff on the PC, and im sure theres a way around this without having to lose it all or back it up and restore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back