Windows Longhorn Alpha Leaks to the Web

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

I can't believe I missed this! Well, OK, it only happened on like Tuesday this week, or something, but still!

It appears that a leaked alpha of Microsoft's next gen Windows OS, code named Longhorn, started to appear on the darker corners of the Internet this week.

Some readers may recall a similar thing happening when Windows XP was in beta. And I think (although I am not sure) I recall a rather dodgy version of Windows 2000 (then called Windows NT 5.0) doing the rounds on newsgroups. But then I am not sure.

Anyway, eweek.com had this to say:

"News of a leaked Longhorn build cropped up late last month when screenshots posted to Windows enthusiast sites purported to showcase the next-generation operating system. But the select few with access to the code initially opted to keep it under wraps rather than risk incurring the wrath of Redmond."

I wonder how long that will last. I dare say that "Longhorn" is popping up all over Kazaa right now.

Read more HERE.

I have managed to get a hold of Longhorn, and I personally think it is going to be much better than XP, as it is using a better database for faster seek times, etc. We'll see how it is after I get it installed, as it was qutie a pain in the butt to go from Red Hat to this.
I had to jump through MULTIPLE hoops to get it to get anywhere. But at least I have figured it out, and I will let eveyrone know how it turns out.

Come to the IRC channel.... I may know something about how it runs.... Then again I may not... :)

I have found a flaw with it. For some reason I can't download things off the net. EVERY time I try it stops around 33.3K and gives an illegal error. I haven't tried getting a download agent yet, but just thought I'd mention this to see if anyone else is having similar problems.

It is just annoying tyring to install things, when I have to downlaod them off of my good comp and share them so I can access them across network to install them off web.

Just a pain in the butt.

And I KNOW I KNOW, it is still WAY WAY early in the build phase, but I wanted to see if others were having same problem.

I don't get that error - but it doesn't let me dl stuff from the net. I think IE crashes... not sure I haven't ran it in a couple days because I was either busy or drunk. I got Netscape installed for it and now I can dl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back