Windows ME and Windows XP on different HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

CompuGeek247

I just spent a couple hours putting my windows ME on my drive C. Then my windows XP on my drive D. Well when I finally got them on, I connected my IDE cable to both HD's. My primary going into drive C and secondary going into drive D. Well now it only loads up to ME. I figured out the problem to be in the bios. So i Went into the bios to get the boot options right to boot both the HD's, but it will only boot one HD, my floppy and my CD. Is this for all bio's that only 1 HD can be booted?

If anyone thinks thats not the problem would appreciate some incite. Thank you very much.

I'm not sure if you can do that with WinME and WinXP, at least not just by installing WinME and then WinXP. Hmm... I know there is a way to do it but I'm not really sure when it comes to dual booting XP with ME.

If you install Windows XP AFTER Windows Me, then Windows XP's bootloader is what loads your operating system...

This boot loader is capable of supporting multiple operating systems and should give you the option of Windows Me or XP at boot.

Windows Me's bootloader, on the other hand, is not capable of supporting muliple OSes.

If you installed ME after XP, then I can understand your problem.

i dont have an answer for your question but one for you,
why would you put ME on a machine? even if it's a computer you dont like you should put windows 3.1 on instead or just stick to DOS instead of ME.

i put windows ME because it came with my origional comp. IT has my programs for school and some of my hardware doesnt act as well in xp:)

Compugeek, heres what you have to do. Just install your two hard drives and THEN install Windows ME. Then install Windows XP. After successfully installing both, you will be given an option at startup of which OS you want to load. You MUST first have both of your hard drives installed and working then install both OS's.

Could've told you that last night but at 3am I can't even remember my own name hehe. :D

Just remember to specify that you want Windows ME on one hard drive and Windows XP on the other hard drive, when setup asks you which folder to install to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back