Windows ME(software)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trblshtr1

well i'm helping a friend clean her cpu and its millenum edition, and i know already that they don't have alot a memory in the first place, but she also only uses it for school papers, but her kids always put stuff on there, so here i am, so the question is when go to add/remove and delete useless programs i can't remember which ones actually count i know theres at least close to 4 or 5 of them that you keep...if you or anyone call help in this area i greatly appreicate it...or if know any other ways to delete programs so free up space so the cpu can run fast...thanx for taking tha time to read n answer...much luv and respect...

In add remove programs? You can delete anything in there that she isn't going to use. What programs is she using? This should be simple enough to figure out, she'll know what she uses.

You probably arent going to free up too much HD space by removing programs. If you are talking about RAM then you don't need to delete any programs, just go to start menu and run, then type msconfig and look at the startup items, and uncheck everything that doesn't look essential. You can always go back into msconfig and re-enable those start up items if you accidentally killed one she needs.

i know already that they don't have alot a memory in the first place
Memory should refer to RAM which controls performance. You may mean disk space; the amount of space on your hard drive used for storing programs and personal data.

so the question is when go to add/remove and delete useless programs i can't remember which ones actually count i know theres at least close to 4 or 5 of them that you keep
You can uninstall any program, providing you don't want to use it. Windows, by default, starts up with a blank add/remove programs panel... because there is nothing installed. If your friend is typing papers, you probably want to keep Microsoft works or office, but that's about it from what how you've desribed the computer's function.

or if know any other ways to delete programs so free up space so the cpu can run fast
Freeing disk space will not speed up the computer. Uninstalling programs (usually) will not speed up a computer either. However, some programs do load on startup which can slow down the computer. You may want to look into using msconfig (Start --> Run Type msconfig and select "Startup") and disable all (or everything you don't use at least) the listed applications.

thanx...now the next question...windows me

thanx for tha advice it worked great, now for the next question, you know when a error occurs on the oe or os and a blue screen appears, well i doubt its anything serious but i'm curious what does this mean
MCSCAN32(01)+000194BC
ERROR:OE:0028:CCD739EC

thanx for taking the time to read and answer...much luv and respect

trblshtr1 said:
thanx for tha advice it worked great, now for the next question, you know when a error occurs on the oe or os and a blue screen appears, well i doubt its anything serious but i'm curious what does this mean
MCSCAN32(01)+000194BC
ERROR:OE:0028:CCD739EC

thanx for taking the time to read and answer...much luv and respect

I'm betting MCSCAN32 is McAfee Virus scanner. I'd recommend uninstalling it (if you haven't already) to fix this issue.

Then I'd recommend getting a different virus scanner because McAfee really isn't all that great. Rather than pay for an upgrade or another software, try http://free.grisoft.com. You don't have to pay for it and it has an impressive detection rate. :)

If you absolutely have to have McAfee, try reinstalling it after you uninstall it.. But you have to uninstall it for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back