Windows Memphis Screenshots

None of those screen shot pictures would load up for me. Guess I'll try again in the morning.

Those screenshots look almost exactly the same as what Win98se ended up like. With exception of that groovy looking startup screen.

And why would they goto the effort of making a startup logo with Memphis on it?

Now, the only one that has me even remotely excited is blackcomb:

3.jpg

Blackcomb has been officially pushed back until after Microsoft Codename Longhorn ships. MS says that Longhorn was always a planned interim between XP and Blackcomb. An anonymous MS worker from the Midwest was surprised that his had happened. Longhorn will contain most of the new .NET features but will not contain the new UI that Microsoft has recently admitted will be in Microsoft Blackomb

http://www.etplanet.com/windows/longhorn-blackcomb/

Those screenshots look almost exactly the same as what Win98se ended up like. With exception of that groovy looking startup screen.

And why would they goto the effort of making a startup logo with Memphis on it?

Very true. Perhaps there's where WinME come into the picture...

Ok finally saw the pictures.
I ran Windows Whistler before XP came out. Looked nearly identical to XP but where XP is now in the XP OS it would just say Whistler. Just as that just says Memphis where Windows 98 would have gone.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Now, the only one that has me even remotely excited is blackcomb:
http://www.etplanet.com/windows/longhorn-blackcomb/
I actually had a "theme" that was blackcomb in XP a while back. I wanted it to look EXACTLY like that and I made it all aside from the mp3 player built into the taskbar - problem was that road picture was that out of focus, it was such a small picture that when it was set to full desktop size it looked identical quality as that image you posted.

The windows Blackcomb desktop looks pretty cool. I've tried having my taskbar on the left side of the screen, but its hard to get used to. After a while though I think I could get used to it. Looks pretty cool I must admit.

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
I've tried having my taskbar on the left side of the screen, but its hard to get used to. After a while though I think I could get used to it. Looks pretty cool I must admit. [/B]
I got my taskbar on the right side. I tried left side but didn't like it much - for some reason the right side just "felt" better.

I guess MS has just brain washed me, I like my toolbar at the bottom. Not doubled not anything but the default. And yes I am one of those people who actually use the quick launch bar.

Originally posted by boeingfixer
I guess MS has just brain washed me, I like my toolbar at the bottom. Not doubled not anything but the default. And yes I am one of those people who actually use the quick launch bar.
You use the quick launch bar and do not have enough to at least make the taskbar double thick????? Wierd lol. I think in that desktop thread you will see how many quick launch icons I have, if that all was on a single thick bottom line I'd never see what I had opened.

Anything other than down the bottom just feels weird to me. When its on the sides it actually takes up more screen real-estate as the writing is still left to right....

And i beleive the quicklaunch bar is the best thing Microsoft ever made (Although it seems to be stolen from Linux)

I was stuck on the bottom too, but eventually I started using my taskbar on the left side and got used to it. I still can't get used to it being on the top or right though. If you are trying to new start bar positions.. I highly recommend it. If you put your start bars on the side though, or make it more than 1 bar thick, I would suggest using a high screen resolution of 1024x768 or better.

It takes time, but after a few days, you'll get the hang of it and even like it perhaps.

Originally posted by ScarletHippo
Anything other than down the bottom just feels weird to me. When its on the sides it actually takes up more screen real-estate as the writing is still left to right....
Takes up more real estate - but you can have 17 windows open (like I do right now) and still read what they are to click and bring them back to the front. That is the main reason I like mine on the right.

The only time I actually liked the task bar somewhere else was when I worked in Operations. I had a very nice work station with dual monitors sunk into my desk. I had the task bar on the left screen and did all my work on the right screen...that was sweet. Unfourtunatly I don't have the desk real estate to have two monitors at the house.

Yeh that is a much higher quality road pic than the one I came up with when I had the blackcomb theme thing. Although thats not the same picture.... the other one was green grass along that road.

Nice pic Phantasm66. I like how the keyboard manager is setup! :) You mind posting a direct link to that particular theme??? I had one earlier that looked almost like that, but with a different background and it didn't have the keyboard manager on it.

I've always preferred the taskbar at the top (auto hide) I also have a toolbar docked at the bottom (large icons and always on top) ....just my two cents

Originally posted by T-Shirt
Toolbar at the top with autohide on, works for me
I've never been able to get used to not seeing what I have open (when the taskbar autohides).

Back