windows millennium registry/configuration error

Status
Not open for further replies.

deki

Hi, i have a dell computer with pentium 3 with windows millennium, but dont have the recovery disc, or diskette.I downloaded the boot disk from bootdisk.com but the Me wont boot from it, when the computer starts i get the option of starting the win in normal, logged or safe mode, but neither one of them works. There is only a blank screen and i can move mouse only.Does anyone know how to recover the registry?I would really appreciate!! :(

You have to go into BIOS first and set it to BOOT from floppy.
Then, after booting from floppy, you can try to repair/restore your registry via DOS-commands (you will have to find out how yourself)

hi, thanks for answering , i forgat to say i tryed many times :
1. floppy, cdrom, hdd, (reads but skips floppy), continues
2.just floppy(says invalid disk/diskette)
3.using win 98se cd, but when i get to dos-prompt( i get a:>, i type scanreg/restore; scanreg/fix; scanreg; format c; ;help;....Nothing is working
also when i change to c:\.Nothing is working at the promp, i cant figure out why?

You need to RUN the bootdisk program by double-clicking it. It will then MAKE a bootable floppy.
You probably just copied that file onto a floppy, which is never going to work!

deki said:
3.using win 98se cd, but when i get to dos-prompt( i get a:>, i type scanreg/restore; scanreg/fix; scanreg; format c; ;help;....Nothing is working
also when i change to c:\.Nothing is working at the promp, i cant figure out why?
They don't work because MS-DOS versions aren't really backwards compatible. So, you can't run most MS-DOS 8.0 (WinME) applications from MS-DOS 7.1 (Win98) command prompt. I don't really know why, as I see no technical reason why it couldn't work. Apparently Microsoft in their wisdom decided to have this 'feature'...

Thanks guys, i tyed everything to recover,but i will save for win xp upgrade and just wipe the hard drive.thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back