Windows not picking hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamesh

Hi

i recently upgraded my ram from 1gb to 2gb- this was a tricky process in itself! i had to fiddle with bios for a bit.

After i got bios actually picking the 2gb up, windows will not pick up my F drive (200gb IDE seagate). It's just disappeared in the my computer window. ??

Bios still picks the drive up and shows details of it on boot up.

im going to put in it my mates computer tonight to see if his machine picks it up.

anyone else ever had this problem? i may have forgot to change something as
i have cleared bios quite a few times. windows still does not pickup my drive.

also i have another question, i have AMD Athlon XP3200+ Barton, but in windows under properties of my computer it say 2.19ghz- is this correct. i'm confused about AMD and intel's speed rating system. could someone please let me know if this is correct or do i need to increase the FSB? it is currently set to 200.

i haven't completed my sig, so my spec is:
Win xp pro
Gigabyte GA-7N400PRO2 motherboard
Crucial 2gb DDR 400MHz/PC3200
Maxtor 40 IDE HD
Seagate ST3200822AS Barracuda 200GB
AMD Athlon XP3200+ Socket A Barton
Sapphire Radeon X1650 PRO

thanks

Go in the disk management console & see if the drive is there. If it is, see if it has an accessible partition.

hi

thanks for the reply.

the drive can be seen in the administrative tools section, it says the disk is "offline", i right click and select reactivate, but then i get an error, i cant remember the error, ill post it when i get home.

any other ideas?

thanks

Do you have SP2 installed? if that XP pro does not have at least SP1 then this could be your problem with the 200 GB drive.

Hi

i have sp2 installed, the drive was working before i installed the extra RAM. i tried reverting back to 1 gb RAM, but the drive is still not being picked up.

thanks

after re reading your post I realized that the seagate drive is a SATA. and it appears you are using an Nforce chipset mobo. it is possible that in fiddling with the bios you somehow have lost your sata drivers. I would suggest reinstalling the sata drivers which may very well solve your problem.

You have inadvertently changed a BIOS setting ...

Try setting the BIOS to factory defaults then see if windows picks it up ...

Most of today's BIOS have a capability of backing up their settings to a file,
might want to take advantage of same when you do get this working...

Good Luck

The Seagate ST3200822AS Barracuda 200GB is an IDE? the only listings I find for that model is SATA.

According to Microsoft:
To bring a disk that is Offline and is still named Disk # (not Missing) back online

In Disk Management, right-click the disk and then click Reactivate Disk to bring the disk back online. If the disk status remains Offline, check the cables and disk controller, and make sure that the physical disk is healthy. Correct any problems and try to reactivate the disk again. If the disk reactivation succeeds, any volumes on the disk should automatically return to the Healthy status.

Hi

iss- you are right, im sorry. i forgot i exchanged my drive for an IDE after, so the model number i gave before is incorrect. My actual hard drive is a Seagate ST3200822A Barracuda Plus 200GB.

didou- i did that and i get an error say "the operation could not be carried out, check the system event log". i look at the system event log and see no errors!

dont worry guys, i think i will re format the drive and run file scavenger and recover what i can.

thanks for your help, will def use these forums more.

can anyone answer this:

i have AMD Athlon XP3200+ Barton, but in windows under properties of my computer it say 2.19ghz- is this correct. i'm confused about AMD and intel's speed rating system. could someone please let me know if this is correct or do i need to increase the FSB? it is currently set to 200.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back