Windows not recognizing my USB Storage devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys, i have a quick question regarding USB storage devices.
i'm running Windows XP Sp2

when i plug in my flash drive, iPod or card reader (with a sony memory stick in it) to my usb ports , Windows detects them and the "safely remove hardware" icon shows up in the bottom right toolbar. however, i cant access my USB devices from My Computer, the drives don't show up.

i read on some other post that you have to manually go into Control Panel->Administriative Tools ->Computer Management, to assign a specific drive to the device. However, after i tried that, the devices still dont show up in My Computer.

I'm not sure how to fix this, any help is welcome!
all my other USB devices (such as my keyboard and mouse and printer) work fine

This may seem obvious and i don't mean to be patronizing but have you tried a different USB port? I have never heard of this problem. Also when you plug in your Ipod does it appear on iTunes? Also does it not prompt you when you plug in your devices open, run, view pictures etc.? Have you disabled that, if so enable it.
Regards

the prompt window with options "open, run, view pictures" etc, does NOT come up when i put in my usb storage devices.

also, i tried putting it in different usb ports and the same problem still occurs

All i can think of trying is to stick the device into a USB slot which you know the root for. Im not sure what the root will be f:/ maybe, your main hard drive is ussually C:/. With this go on to the run command and type in run f:/, I don't understand why your computer would be doing this. Are you the administrator because if not your admin may have disabled the use of the USB ports. I am struggling to help you on this one for i am running vista. Make sure you have no security set to your USB hubs.
Regards

i think i found where the problem is

when i click on the "device properties" of my USB mass storage devices, it shows that all the "location" of the devices are at location 0 which is exactly the same as my printer. so i guess windows is not recognizing the devices cuz they think it's the same device as my printer?

i dont know how to go about solving this but i'm pretty sure this is where the problem is

maybe i should try uninstalling the drivers?

Are you sure that the USB ports are plugged in properly, internally?(inside the computer) Try re-installing drivers and have you got anything running of the USB ports on your PC?
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back