Windows or hardware trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well one day I go to play myself a new computer game (farcry great game!!) and bam my CD rom/ burner will not read properly anymore. At first I figure it must be a faulty drive but now a good 3 or 4 weeks after my whole system is acting funking I got the trial of norton anti virus downloaded but it comes up with nill. I am at a loss of what to do. The computer is not running as fast it checks for a floppy disc whenever windows boots up and the CD ROM doesnt work if any one has had this problem and knows how to fix it or even doesnt please tell me. Thanx.

-Phillis

Check the cables going into the CD drive as well as the connection with the motherboard. Sometimes they can work themselves loose with all the heating/cooling cycles they go through. You can also try to remove the drive through the device manager and have it detect it again on the next reboot.

Adding to what SNGX suggested, while checking those cables, make sure to disconnect and reconnect the power and ribbon cables to the device. Also make sure the drive shows up in both the BIOS and Device Manager.

When you turn on the computer, at the first black screen, there should be a message that says something like "press DEL to enter Setup", or "Hit F2 to enter Setup" or something similar. That will take you to the BIOS.

Also, if it shows up in Windows Control Panel, it most likely is detected in the BIOS :p

well it showed in device and bios, and i tryed disconnecting and reconnecting the wires but still doesnt work i noticed as well that the light is staying on the drive itself would that mean anything to u guys?

I would suggest hooking up another drive from a friend, or another computer just to see if it is actually the drive itself.

Perhaps you have a Windows XP or 2000 CD that is bootable? I would attempt to boot from the CD or use a program outside of Windows to rule out the possibility of software.

You may need to adjust your BIOS settings to accomodate CD booting.

If your computer is able to boot from a CD, then your CDROM obvious works and it is just a Windows issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back