Windows problem or Hardware problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend whose son uses ProTools to produce music on his PC. He purchased this PC from a company lat year that has since gone out of business. A few weeks ago he told me the PC all of a sudden would not boot up so I immediately thought it must be a hardware problem. A week ago he had another friend who supposedly knows a lot about computers look at it, he claims it’s a Windows problem, not a hardware problem. This guy brought the PC to his place and says he got it to work for a couple of hours, but when my friend brought it back home after just a few minutes it shut down again.
I finally made it over to his house to take a look myself, what actually happens is the PC boots to the Windows XP splash screen for a few seconds and then shuts down and restarts continuously. I tried booting into Safe Mode but the same thing happens, it just continuously restarts. There were a couple of viruses (Trojans) on the PC before this problem started happening but I was told they ran an antivirus program and that the viruses were removed.
So my questions, what can be causing this mysterious behavior? Unfortunately he never backed up his files so reformatting is truly a last resort. Is there something anyone can think of to get the PC to boot into Windows?

virus removal may cause the removal of system dll's
have they gone into safe mode F8 key look for more from here there is last know good config to
try the repair. can't hurt now
all else fails ,clean install

And as a last ditch effort if everything else doesnt' work you could always use a knoppix disc and back up his files that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back