Windows Reboot- Now no internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

clcargen

My son was on my computer-it stopped working- we tried restarting it- this message came up- windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt-<windowsroot>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please reinstall. Ok- so i try running the windows xp cd- it won't boot- i go into the bios and change the start up to boot off cd. ok everything going well- it's loading. I should have gotten a screen to repair xp but instead it goes right into which partition to put it in. I chose the second with an operating system already on because I thought I could then repair it. Well-it all loaded but now i cannot get an internet connection. tried reinstalling all cds- router, modem ,etc. but nothing will install. I am thinking i need to find their drivers but i am about fried thinking about this!! Am i on the right track or is there an easier way? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks

Go into device manager and look for yellow ? or !. If you double click the device with the yellow ! it should tell you whats up in the status window. Sounds like you (accidentally ;) )installed over the top instead of doing a repair and some drivers got mangled. I hate it when that happens. =(

there is a ! next to all items under other devices-- ethernet controller, multimedia audio controller, pci simple communications controller, scan, and video controller. All items cannot be updated- i tried. They all say code 28 next to them as well. Now what?

Code 28
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

Recommended resolution

To install the drivers for this device, click Update Driver. This starts the Hardware Update Wizard.

What happens when you try to update the drivers?

There is a question mark and exclamation point next to all except my printer. They all say driver not installed- code28. the only option is to reinstall which i did and the hardware wizard comes up and I click auto install- cannot find software. I found the cd for the ethernet and put it in and did it all again and it does the same thing. I don't have any software for the other things. the ethernet controller i think is what is keeping me from getting online. I can't get any other drivers until i get online so.......

If you have the CD that came with your motherboard I would start there, esecially if you have onboard sound video and or NIC.

when i load the cd for the ethernet i have to go to my computer and click on the cd drive- it won't load automatically. then it opens to all the files within the cd. there is a folder for setup but it doesn't do anything. I don't know about the cd for the motherboard. i loaded the windows xp cd from dell that i got with the computer. the only other cd i got was for the moniter.

If I remember correctly my fathers Dell laptop came with a CD for the OS and another one with the drivers for his hardware. Both were autorun? There should be a service tag number on a sticker somewhere on your Dell PC. If you go to the Dell site and input that number it will lead you to the correct drivers for your PC. You could then download them on the PC you are posting from and (hopefully) burn them to CD or put them on a thumb drive so you can access them from the problem PC. Another option to try and install the drivers for the network card is to use the advanced option when you run the update drivers wizard. Chose the second option - Install from a list or specific location. On the next screen you can click the browse button and then point it to the correct folder on the CD. If you don't know which folder just try them one at a time, you will see something come up if windows finds a file it can use. I'm calling it a night but I will check back in the morning to see if you made any progress. ;)

I found the cd with the drivers and utilities. when i put it in it does auto run but only installs modem helper. I haven't had much time to play with it. I have to go to work and i'll check back later.

Hi again- I am having no luck at all connecting to the internet. I have tried everything I can think of. The device manager shows problems and when i go the install or update drivers- the software is not there. I will try looking online for the drivers and burning to a cd - hopefull i can do this.

The service tag number is displayed on the BIOS screen as well if you can't find the sticker. Having that number makes things a lot easier once on the Dell web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back