Windows refuses to reinstall properly ( Am i just being paranoid )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie30001

Am i just being paranoid or is this something that can happen?

Yall,
...i totally screwed up my computer by messing with the wrong thing in the registry....errors everywere and system restore wouldnt work..along with other things...so i thought.......screw it...and decided to do i full system restore (with the disks that restore it to factory settings)

Well it went all fine until it finally gets ready to use (the first bit were you set up the computer and things) it seemed to take ages for each thing to come up etc...then when i got to the desktop...things i used to do seemed to take longer than before.

Well....i thought agen...to be safe ill reinstall it agen....all went fine again and this time it seemed to be better....the bit at the begging went way faster that lastime...when i got to the desktop things were going fine like when i first got the comp.....well for 2 weeks anyway...a guy i know sed it was probably a virus but nothing worked agen.....task maneger wouldnt evan come...anti-virus sofwere sed it was no longer installed and comp was acting REALLY strange...so agen i decide to reinstall....but this must be the 10th time now....i cant seem to get the computer to run like it used to....im now wonering if its just me being paranoid or can completle reinstalling the computer actually make it slower?

Sorry for the long post...hope someone can tell me if i need to go in a mental hospital... :rolleyes:

- Watch your language on these forums & use proper titles for your threads
Didou

Nope, I'm sure a CLEAN install can only be faster than a system used for a while. By clean install, I mean format & install, not install the system on top of what is already there. You have to install all your software & stuff back also.

But it's almost sure that if you install again your windows on top of a system used for a while, it will probably be slower. Or at least as slow as before. The system registry crap is all still there, etc.

Tell us how you did the install each time ? Clean or not ? Maybe thats the answer.

Oh and as for the hospital, where do you think you are ? :D

A reinstall from scratch is needed, format etc. Also check any unoriginal disks you may have ( eg disks with backups or downloads from internet) for viruses before you install back on to your machine.

Ensure you have all relevant drivers for your hardware/software before you do this type of reinstall.
Also back up anything of importance, email/internet settings etc..

Good Luck

Are you doing a FULL reinstall? Like formatting "C" drive and starting afresh?

You've obviously got all your apps and drivers if you've reinstalled ten times, format your H>D and start from scatch. if you have a buggered registry, reinstalling directly over the top mighnt do much.:cool:

Hey...sorry for the long wait...something came up.....anyway...ya im doing a clean install were i either use the built in feature of my compaq or the disks you can create with it (ive tried both) it ses its called a "destructive system recovery" or something like that and ses it will install everything to factory shiped settings....

and about the format thing...should i do that before i reinstall....cus when it goes thru the process of reinstalling it comes up with what its doing and the first thing it ses its doing is "formatting hard drive"

My ex has/had a compaq. I hated it... But anyway...

I dunno what O/S you use, but this should work, insert your Startup floppy. Choose "Start with CDrom support"
At the A: prompt type FORMAT C:
if that doesnt work, at A: prompt, type in D:
at D: prompt, type formatspaceC ie format C

It'll ask "are you sure?.."
Yes - as long as you've got all your drivers & apps handy,
it takes some time, as its wiping your whole HD clean. Then reinstall your O/System. VOILA, F R E S H reinstall!!

I've had to do it a few times mostly due to hardware probs, but it should run sweet.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back