Windows reinstallation problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Windows XP Home Edition...have the original install disk...have a AMD Athlon system. Computer has worked like a charm...that is, until a couple days ago! My computer crashed and I could not get it to come back no matter what I tried -- i am trying to reinstall windows xp service pack 2 but am having problems it keeps on saying the file "asms" on windows xp home edition service pack is needed.type the path where it is located.the preset location is GLOBAL ROOT\DEVICE\CDROMO\I386 but when i click ok nothing happens it just stays on that screen and I can't do a thing -- can any one help? Thanks in Advance!! :) Char

It sounds like you are trying to do a system recovery vs. a total install.

In this case, you've likely applied a service pack that your original CD does not have (i.e. a Windows XP Home installation CD, but your system has Windows XP Home Service Pack 2).

If you have access to another PC with a cdburner, you may wish to do a web search on how to make a SLIPSTREAM cd. This will allow you to patch-up your original XP Home CD to match the service pack level you are trying to recover or repair.

Thank you!!

WOW...you guessed right on!! I will give that a try and I very much appreciate the help!! I'll let you know. Thanks much!! :wave:

Char

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back