Windows self-destructing? Help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, I’m currently having a lot of serious problems with my laptop and would appreciate any advice.

The problem started when a blue screen of death appeared while I was away from the computer. Apart from Firefox and Outlook Express, there were no programs running at the time. It said that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated and said I should check to make sure that any new hardware of software was properly installed. The technical information read: *** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x0000000003, 0x86C31C10, 0x86C31D84, 0x805FA160) and a physical memory dump was completed.

Apart from upgrading my McAfee Virus Utilities and using a new USB pen, I haven’t installed any new hardware of software for a good few months and had never had a similar problem before. I restarted the system and everything seemed to work fine. Soon though, every two or three restarts would produce a similar blue screen of death. Sometimes this screen was the same as the one above and sometimes it said: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT-VOLUME and the technical information was: *** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x86F9F900, 0xC0000006, 0X00000000, 0x00000000).

When I restarted again, this time an error message appeared just as the desktop background was loading up. It was titled ‘Delayed Write Failed’ and read: ‘Windows was unable to save all the data for the file C:\WINDOWS\Registration. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.’ After clicking OK, the same error message repeated itself numerous times but with different files, including:

C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SysEvent.Evt
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\EXPLORER.EXE-02121B1A.pf
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\SVCHOST.EXE-2D5FBD18.pf
C:\$Mft

The computer then froze. Now when I restart, the blue screen of death comes up every time before Windows has fully loaded. I’ve tried loading up in Safe Mode so I can run a check of the hard drive for errors, but even in Safe Mode I can’t successfully load up Windows without being hit by the blue screen.

The laptop is a three year old Dell Inspiron 8200 running Windows XP (with SP2). Any help would be fantastic!
Many thanks, Jack

your screwed, your drive failed i hope you still have a warranty on it so dell will replace it but you still need a new hard drive that one is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back