Windows Server 2003 into Domain Controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ831

Hey guys I need some serious help. I run a small lab at a small school and I recently upgraded my server to 2003 (standard edition). My old server was set as a domain controller so that any of my users can log on from any where in the lab (or anywhere in the school). My new 2003 server is set as a Workgroup. How do I change it to a domain controller so it can be like my old server. If I leave the new server as workgroup, I'm going to have to change all my computers from domain to workgroup (approx 255 computers on campus). Please if you have any help, I would be forever grateful. Thanks in advance.

RJ831 said:
Hey guys I need some serious help. I run a small lab at a small school and I recently upgraded my server to 2003 (standard edition). My old server was set as a domain controller so that any of my users can log on from any where in the lab (or anywhere in the school). My new 2003 server is set as a Workgroup. How do I change it to a domain controller so it can be like my old server. If I leave the new server as workgroup, I'm going to have to change all my computers from domain to workgroup (approx 255 computers on campus). Please if you have any help, I would be forever grateful. Thanks in advance.

I did a google "promoting server 2003 to domain controller" and found this page

http://www.visualwin.com/AD-Controller/

Bear in mind that the old domain is gone and the PC's will need introducing to the new domain controller.

Might help you

You can add a domain controller role to the OS from that "Manage Your Server" start thingy. It's in Administrative Tools if you've disabled it from startup.

Hi,

you promote a server to be a domain controller by running dcpromo, you really need to understand what you are doing though.

depending on what you have done/do you may have to join all the PC's to the new domain etc.

HTH

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back