Windows setup cannot find installed HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
my desktop is Dell Dimension 8400. I replaced the SATA with a new one (seagate). The computer recognised the HD in both BIOS and chkdisk. I partitioned it to 2 NTFS parts, and set the primary active (used PQMAGIC, a very old version back to year 2000). Then I run boot from CDROM, and windows setup showed "SETUP DID NOT FIND ANY HARD DISK INSTALLED IN YOUR COMPUTER. ... SETUP CANNOT CONTINUE, PRESS F3 TO QUIT SETUP".

I don't know how many times I have got this message. Can anyone help me please. Thanks a lot.

Have you tried copying the Sata disk drivers to a floppy/cd and pressing F6 just after the setup starts... remember that windows needs this extra drivers to "see" the disk.

I can't vouch for chkdsk, but the Bios would see the disk regardless if it could access it or not.

most mobo manf. give you the drivers on the setup disk and you need a working computer withe windows to make a floppy with the sata drivers ibleive you are looking for a file name ***setup.oem i forgot the first part. occanally a company will give you a floppy with the driver already on it. like rathgar said in the beging when the first blue loading screed comes up press f6 alot and setup will continue untill i need the driver then it will ask you for the disk. its easy from there.

thanx both for the replies. I installed the sata driver (from seagate), but windows setup still cannot find the hdd. I then upgraded the bios version to A08, didnt work either. What should I do now? Am I rite that the sata driver formats the hdd?

mine did not format the drive
seagate 160gb sata 150
check your bios for boot order may not be config right
may need a raid setup manual should tell
if you have a ide drive installed remove it

rite seagate 160gb, sata.
what should i change the boot order to?
what change do i need for raid setup?
i dont have ide hdd.
thanx

my system is special developers MB my bios settings don't apply to yours
you have to check with the MB manufactor for manual on bios config
there are normaly 2 places that adjust this boot order and hard drive priority
settings

hi all i am new to this
my ibm laptop crashed and know wont boot it keeps saying there is no hard drive and wont go any where

paulbr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back