Windows startup weird issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows XP is not starting up at all not even in the safe mode. There is some kind of timer after which my computer hangs after starting up. It doesn't matter where it reaches to but after certain time it hangs up.

For example, Someimes it hangs up after reaching the desktop and sometime while starting. when I press F8, if I don't press up or down arrow keys for few seconds, it hangs up. Sometime It hangs up after reaching up to a certain option when I was pressing the up arrow to reach the safe mode option. I was able to reach the safe mode option once but after clicking enter the black window comes up saying safe mode but noghting happens after that.

This started happening after I got a trojan horse and before turning off my anti virus recommended that it should move the infected file to a place (don't remember where). I said ok and turned off the computer. Next time i tried to start up, i started getting this weird problem.

Please help..

If a virus caused this, you really need to do a virus scan. Can you remember the name of the virus?

The best method of scanning for viruses would probably be to remove the drive from the computer and install it inside a USB enclosure or inside another computer to scan.

If that method isn't an option, then we need to figure out a way to scan your computer without taking the hard drive out. This might include a parallel install of Windows or using a bootable CD which contains a seperate operating system like Knoppix (A bootable version of Linux which I believe includes ClamAV) or AV scanners like Kasperksy which include bootable virus scan media.

If these methods won't work for you, you'll need to find out what virus you have so we can figure out a way to manually fix your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back