/Windows/system32/config/system problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off my computer (emachine T2642) suddenly quit on me. So since there was no power i replaced the power supply (from emachines website). So computer still wouldn't work so the only other thing that it could be was the motherboard. I replaced it with a compatable motherboard, so now my computer would turn on. But it boots me up to a screen that says windows shut down unexpectedly and there are four options to start up windows. But none of them work, they all lead to a reboot or I get the message /windows/system32/config/system is missing or corrupt. I try to use the restore cd's that contain the windows xp that came with my computer when i bought it. It goes through the whole process of restoring the OS, all 3 CD's and then i reboot to accept the changes. Well it still gives me the error message that i wrote above after running the restore CD's. So i thought that maybe the HD was bad, i go out and but a new Hard drive and replace the old one, try running the system restore cds after the computer prompts me to put in a system disk when i boot up the first time, and i get the same error after running the cd's and reboot. The CD's are spotless, not scratched or anything and i have used the CD's once before shortly after i bought the computer to clean it up. But this is where i am stuck now, where can i go from here. Thanks for any help u can provide.

sounds like youve had quite a nightmare with this Emachine! I think the culprit for your OS issues is the mobo... if you install a new mobo, you need to install a fresh installation of the OS. This is due to the differences in chipsets and onboard devices. I think the 3CD set that you have is specifically designed for the previous hardware configuration. I dont know how your restore cd's work, because I've never bought an EMachine, but I think that they are not going to work... You may have to purchase a retail copy of XP.

Good Luck!
Wayne

Thats what i thought might be the problem, just didn't want to go out an pay $200 bucks for another copy of windows. Do you think i can call up Microsoft and see if i can get a copy from them, i mean i already paid for the windows xp when i bought the computer. Just really frustrated right now with this P.O.S

Its worth a shot, but not likely. I think that EMachines probably get a better deal when they limit the installation to that specific hardware group. Is there a way to install ONLY the OS with those restore CD's? Or do you need to install all drivers, etc at the time of install?

Wayne

Run memtest86+ to see if your PC has bad RAM.

Does your system have more than 1 stick of RAM? Can you run the restore with only one stick of memory installed in the system?

no you can't just load the OS. So I just ordered a copy of Windows xp home. Now just one more question, do i have to reformat the drive and how do i go about doing it.

when u get the new cd all u will have to do is boot from it and at the point where it asks u if u want to reinstall windows just press any key then do as ask with/at every question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back