Windows Update Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

danswebs

Hey Everyone,

The shield has come up on my PC to click to install some Windows Updates. So i click the shield (it dissapears) sits for a few seconds and nothing comes up to select how i want to install and then the shield comes back again and goes around doing this all the time. Also when ive clicked it svchost.exe uses a high amount of CPU power for a few seconds. I have checked my firewall so it is gaining access to the internet.

Many Thanks,

Dan

danswebs said:
Hey Everyone,

The shield has come up on my PC to click to install some Windows Updates. So i click the shield (it dissapears) sits for a few seconds and nothing comes up to select how i want to install and then the shield comes back again and goes around doing this all the time. Also when ive clicked it svchost.exe uses a high amount of CPU power for a few seconds. I have checked my firewall so it is gaining access to the internet.

Many Thanks,

Dan

Hi

Are you logged on as a user or an administrator, some updates may require the higher rights of an admin to install.

Regards

I am logged on as an administrator, i have installed updates before, its just started not doing it.

It's possible one of the services needed is stopped, no longer running or been set to Disabled in services.

I'd first start with the Event Viewer to see if there are any helpful messages there.

If all seems okay, I'd then visit Windows Update site with IE and pretend you're going to manually perform updates on Windows Update (hit "Custom"). Windows Update should then (hopefully) flag on their website what services or problems your system has as it'll do a full check of your system for it's capability to apply updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back