Windows Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, have an item of interest to contest, im running an Acer 520 travelmate old model i know, but recently formatted it, only had the ME os to hand and then upgraded from that to xp Pro, have now been informed that this leaves ME running in the background and as such uses huge quantatites of CPU. Is this true...? any ideas...? much appreciated guys. cheers.

Nodsu said:
It is complete bull****.

^^^ what he said.

ME (a type of Win95/98/98SE OS ("Win9x") ) runs "on top" of MS DOS. Any kind of NT (Windows NT 3.x/4.0, Windows 2000 (NT 5.0), Windows XP (NT 5.1), Windows 2003 (NT 5.2) ("WinNT") ) OS simply cannot run on any kind of MS DOS. So whoever told you that is pretty clueless.

The upgrade only preserves your installed programs and parts of the registry pertaining to those programs and some of your settings the rest of Win9x is purged. However I wouldn't recommend the upgrade as they are often unstable. Alot of rubbish and backups are also left behind to fill up your HDD. A clean install is the best option IMHO. If it's running ok and stable though, leave well alone. If it aint broke don't fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back